6 Days Post Op ........

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

6 Days Post Op ........

Postby Susan Mason » Wed 25 Jan 2012 2:43 am

..... well wasnt sure that this day would ever come however, here I am 6 days post op and so far the consultant tells me he is happy with me so far :-)

My op date was Weds 18th Jan and I was booked in for a full thickness graft under a GA. Well I arrived as planned for 8am was admitted saw the medical people and then was told I was having a local :shock: this really surprised me as all along it had been GA however, I was there in my gown and before I knew it I was all tucked up with monitors on and alarm in hand with fetching paper arrangement over my face and oxygen blowing up my nose.

And whilst I am surprised to be saying this it was ok. My surgeon was very good and other than my IOP being raised (pressure within the eye) all seemed to go well and before long I was being helped to sit up and taken back to my side room (which I had as they felt I was booked for a GA). Tea and toast next, sit up to help pressure and by 1:15pm I was home on my own couch rather bemused and feeling golly gosh did that really all happen so quickly! With the only evidence being a watery eye and a very sexy looking plastic shield and hospital sticky tape across my head!

Next morning back for review and consultant sang he was so happy (comment was passed to me by one of his team they hadnt heard him do that before). Seems there had been worry that due to pressure I may have had to go back to theatre that morning but luckily all waas ok. :roll:

Next check should have been Thurs 26th 1 week post op however, just in case and so I could see my consultant I was booked in to go for review Tuesday 24th Jan and again all was looking good, so good I am now next to be reviewed in 3 weeks time.

Am not going to type much more for now as drops are in and plastic eye shield and tape in place. Still feel its very early days and anything could happen however can see through graft and its no worse than before graft infact at times during the day it is clearer, this does fluctuate though.

Susan x :lol:

Still being careful propped up on couch or the bed to help the pressure (for the first night I was asked not to lie down) and if this is doing the trick a small price to pay for getting some useful vision back. No pain as such just a little tender and at times a little dry
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: 6 Days Post Op ........

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 25 Jan 2012 9:54 am

It must be such a relief to have this over at last! And well done having it under local - I don't think I'd be brave enough! All the very best for continued good healing.
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 25 Jan 2012 3:38 pm

Well done Susan, take care.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

sarkac
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby sarkac » Thu 26 Jan 2012 4:42 pm

hi susan,
I just read your last thread and wanted to say how happy I am for you , that you got a successful graft.I am glad good things are happening , and pray that they will continue...
do take care of yourself
thanks
sarkac

Johndawsonbooth
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby Johndawsonbooth » Fri 27 Jan 2012 9:45 am

Hi there,

It's good to hear an encouraging story - I'm 44, was diagnosed with KC at 21 and am going for my first transplant a week today (3rd Feb!). It's been coming for a while but it's very scary now it;s about to happen. In some ways it will be nice to have a break from work (looking on the positive side) but it's a step into ythe unknown I guess. Hopefully your recovery will carry on as well as it has started and mine will go along the same lines.
Unlike you're quick turnaround i think I am being kept in overnight so will be a little longer in getting back home but we'll see what happens!

John

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Sat 28 Jan 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks all for your kind words.

John, will be thinking of you on the 3rd Feb.

Take Care all, Susan x :D
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Wed 01 Feb 2012 9:02 pm

Susan,

Wow at last you have had it done!!! Fantastic!! You are so brave to have had a local as well!!! I was terrified enough in having a GA, nurse or not!!!

I am so glad that things are looking up for you, so hoping that it continues :o)

Best of luck with it!!

John, best wishes for the 3rd!! You will do great!

Love Claire Xxx
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”