prognosis for KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

roisinmarshall
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

prognosis for KC

Postby roisinmarshall » Fri 06 Jan 2012 11:26 pm

Hi there
My sister was diagnosed with KC recently. She is having terrible pain and irritation with her eyes at the moment. SHe has down's syndrome and autism and would not be able to wear lenses or anything. The consultant said that once it heals after a few weeks it should settle down and does not come back. Is this a correct understanding?
Roisin

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: prognosis for KC

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 07 Jan 2012 10:08 am

Hi Roisin and welcome to the forum
I've moved your post to the general discussion forum, where more people will see it. From what you say (terrible pain and the consultant saying it will heal over) I suspect that your sister may have had a hydrops, which is when there is a split in a thin cornea. You'll find more information about hydrops here www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/expert_con ... nd_kc.html
Hydrops does eventually heal though it can take quite a few weeks or sometimes months. A few unlucky people here have had more than one hydrops episode, but that is rare.
Keratoconus is much more common in people who have Down's Syndrome. I'm afraid keratoconus itself doesn't go away. You'll find a lot of useful information about KC and Down's Syndrome at
www.lookupinfo.org (a website about sight problems in people with learning difficulties). And if you'd like our information booklet about keratoconus, just e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”