Kerasoft IC Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

BerryBlast
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Kerasoft IC Lenses

Postby BerryBlast » Tue 08 Nov 2011 5:48 pm

Just wanted to see how people have found the Kerasoft IC lenses?
Do you get much wear time out of them and would you recommend them as a 1st choice to KC sufferers?

Just thought it would be nice to get a few different takes on them, as I found it can be a bit of a nightmare researching the various 'soft' lens options now available - I guess its down to personal choice and the individual, but it would be nice to get feedback from people who wear them daily :)

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Kerasoft IC Lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 09 Nov 2011 4:59 pm

Ihave used kerasoft since 2007. I found them very good for my right eye. I had mild KC in that eye until recently and the kerasoft worked well for that. I am not at all tolerant of rgps so it was a good compromise. The vision is not as good as for an rgp but the comfort is very good.
Sadly, I must say goodbye to them now because the KC has progressed and my vision has got very bad in that eye. I am now trying a piggy back system or failing that, I am waiting for a graft to match the left eye which was grafted in 2007.

Get a life...get a dog!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Kerasoft IC Lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 10 Nov 2011 8:59 am

Hi Berry

It is partly down to personal choice and what works best for you.

For me post graft in both eyes and KC having returned in the right eye so distorting the graft (this happened when the graft was about 16 years old, they are now 22 years old), these are by far the best lenses in my opinion. I get 6/5 vision in both eyes and in my new job that requires travelling and working long hours so I can speak with people all over the world I am wearing my lenses for at least 16 hours per day every day and on frequent occasions 20 hours, sometimes more with no ill effects and have done so for over 4 years now.

With RGP's I became sensitised to them because of the way they rubbed on the cornea, when I fist started with RGP's in 2004 I could only wear them for 8 hours per day and only for 5 days per week, which after a couple of years had gone down 2 hours per day for 5 days per week with a monthly appointment at the eye unit which was often inckluded a trip to eye casualty in between due to lens comfort problems resulting in the odd burst blood vessel here and there.

Soft lenses are unbelievably comfortable, freed up my life more than the RGP's did, to be honest beyond my expectations, the vision is better than I could get with RGP's, the cost of maintaining the lenses (solutions) is far less, I can wear them in dust environments such as on a beach with no problems or worries about dust getting beneath them, work longer at a PC before I feel sysmtoms of eye strain. Basically I am no different to someone who wears soft lenses for vanity and I can wear my Kerasoft IC lenses for longer than any of my friends that do wear lenses for vanity reasons.

In my opinion, they should be the fisrst choice of lenses for people with KC and other corneal conditions, I have met up with many people who wear these lenses that were told that they needed a graft because of the scarring left by RGP lenses! After changing to soft lenses, the scarring has pretty much gone and they have no need for a graft. Others I know were told they needed a graft because they couldn't be fitted with an RGP lens, so they investigated soft lenses and found they could get perfectly good vision so have no need for a graft.

The soft lenses for irregular corneas fit a far wider range of corneal shapes than most practitioners think with exceptionally good results. As with any lens there will be some corneal shapes and so on where these types of lenses are out performed by others, but the only way you know if they will wor wll not work is by trying them.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”