Vision problems after Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Helen G
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Vision problems after Lenses

Postby Helen G » Mon 24 Oct 2011 3:47 pm

Now 8 months after right PK and have RPG lenses, vision is good for me! (but still below legal driving standard) with them and I really enjoy being able to see for a few hrs each day. I wear them usually for 6 hrs ish as that is when I start to get mucus under them (dr says its some allergic or reaction my body has to the lenses)

The problem is after I take them out I cant see much at all, and my glasses make my vision even worse, so for a few hrs after the lenses come out I am pretty much blind, bumping into furniture and unable to do anything useful. This has meant that I will only wear my lenses in the evening so that my 'post lens blindness' is at bedtime.

I spoke to the hospital team about this and they said its my left eye that is mostly affected because the cornea is thin it is moulding to the contact lens and changing shape, so prescribed a 2nd pair of glasses to try wearing after the lenses come out for a few hrs until they revert to normal.

I should get the glasses tomorrow so will be interesting to find out how juggling 2 different pairs of glasses + contact lenses each day works out :D

The long term plan is to graft the left eye too hopefully next year and wear 1 lens at a time in each eye.... not sure how that will be.

But I am pretty ok with whatever vision I do or dont have now, and happy to give things a go :)

Helen

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Vision problems after Lenses

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 25 Oct 2011 6:13 am

Helen

Every good wish with your new glasses. I'd have found two pairs of specs both a boon and a burden. A boon because it would have meant that for that short time after my lens came out I'd have had useful eyesight until my cornea returned to its natural shape and a burden because I'd probably never have remembered which pair was to be worn when ...

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”