A potential crazy question

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

fatar760
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

A potential crazy question

Postby fatar760 » Wed 19 Oct 2011 8:31 pm

Ok....so I had a DALK done in early september.

I'm currently on dexamethasone and Chloraphenical, both 4 times a day.

I've been keeping the Chloraphenical in the fridge, as instructed. Today it was kept in a fridge with a bottle of milk that was very clearly off - the fridge stank. After a little reluctance I put the medication in the fridge. It was in there about 3 hours before I next used it. The box smelled of....well, milk that had gone off.

i used the drops (which hadn't been kept in the packet) and then the dexamethasone.

Within an hour I started to feel a bit nausea and my eye sight started to haze.

Is it likely that putting the drops in the smelly fridge has, somehow, given me an infection in my eye?

Apologies for what could be a silly question.....but I question everything to be on the safe side

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: A potential crazy question

Postby Sweet » Thu 20 Oct 2011 2:10 pm

Hi there,

No it isn't a silly question and one which I can't overly answer. The Chloramphenicol being an antibiotic should be ok if it wasn't touching any of the milk. I know you said it wasn't in it's packet but I'm guessing it wasn't very near the milk? You are asking if you could have caused an infection, but I am thinking that taking this antibiotic is what you would be having if you have an infection so you are on the right treatment. How is your eyesight now? Have you got any pain or anything?

To be sure I would go and have your eyes checked out by your surgeon, just to put your mind at rest. Hoping that everything is ok with you.

Best wishes, Claire Xxx
Sweet X x X

fatar760
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: A potential crazy question

Postby fatar760 » Thu 20 Oct 2011 2:54 pm

Hi Claire,

Thanks for you reply and well wishes.

The phial itself was no=where near the milk and certainly didn't come into contact with it. I spoke to someone at the clinic today who pretty much echoed what you said. I'm just being cautious really. The vision is still a bit hazy today but not hugely different to 'normal'. No pain or redness at all.

So doesn't sound like it's anything to worry about :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”