many more questions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

rena mcintyre

many more questions

Postby rena mcintyre » Tue 30 Aug 2005 11:56 pm

can anyone tell me if keratoconus is the same as if-someone had a catact removed and from that operation got a severe infection and scarring your cornea as a result? I had the transplant July 27th, 2005 and I have no good result as yet! anyone understand what I'm asking? Thanks!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 31 Aug 2005 7:48 am

Hi Rena,

I will have a go at answering your question. From my understanding of cataract removal, a slit is cut in the cornea and the cataract removed and a few stitches used to allow the slit to heal. As the cornea is put back pretty much where it was, the shape stays pretty much as it was before the operation.

In a KC graft, part or the whole thickness of the cornea is removed and a new one put in place. Due to the bulge KC produces the disc of cornea put back I think is smaller to allow for cell growth to join the recipient and donour material. This means it is the expertise of the surgeon to get the eye shape correct. Then the hard part is how well we heal.

I notice your transplant is only a month old, so very early days. Unfortunatly instant results are rare, but given time 'better' sight is often achieved. I know many that have taken 18 - 24 months for the eye to stabalise suffciently to be able to wear glasses.

Surgically a success is where the eye pressure is normal, the donour and recipient material join leaving a clear ocular surface.

For me succes I was looking for was to be able to see properly with atleast glasses which I could wear as long as I liked and have good vision. I was lucky, after 18 months glasses gave me 6/6 vision and after 3 years I had 6/6 without glasses and this lasted for a couple of years.

My grafts are now 16 years old and the frafts themselves are the best part of my eyes.

It is a very very slow process so hang in there. It is still very early days.

Hope this helps.

Gareth
Gareth

rena mcintyre

thank you for your reply

Postby rena mcintyre » Wed 31 Aug 2005 8:27 pm

thank you very much, for your reply! I do now understand what keratoconus is compared to cataract. I have gone threw so much to recover my sight in my left eye. This last operation is my eightieth. I wish I could talk to someone who had a cataract removed and had a sever infection and some how recovered 100% of sight again! I'm a nurse and I feel inapt to do my job and I haven't returned yet!?how about you? rena

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 01 Sep 2005 12:44 pm

Hi Rena,

The old cornea my graft is attached to developed KC 12 months ago which is extremely rare and I spent three months off work. The only thing I do not do as much as I used to is work in the laboratory. On a bad eye day, I just can not see the solvents or drugs that I work with. The company I work for develop asthma inhalers.

However I do more on the supervision side and my desk is set up so I can work regardless of the quality of sight I gave. Just been to the hospital, right eye is getting worse, so I have to go back in 3 months to see if it has settled for a new lens to be fitted! On the home front, I can not race cars anymore due to the type of lenses I need to wear just to see the track!

Still have one eye that gives me excellent vision when I put a lens, so I can still cope.

Gareth
Gareth

rena mcintyre

thank you!

Postby rena mcintyre » Thu 01 Sep 2005 7:25 pm

I thank you for sharing your experiance with me. Me being a nurse (lpn) I'm subject to being hit by patients. Plus I'm exposed to germs and ect. My husbend don't wantmetoreturn to work, he's worried I will get hurt and he knows how much I been threw to get my sight back.how has your family been doing with you going threw all this?rena

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 02 Sep 2005 7:51 am

Rena,

Just after my graft I started an environmental microbiology degree which includined a year in industry. Since graduating I have worked down sewers, up chimneys, on oil rigs and down mines before doing more of an office job. I think exposure to germs is one thing, but the it is how you deal with everyday hygene that is more important.

When I mentioned at this years KC confrence what my grafts were exposed to there was a look of absolute horror on the faces of the medical guest speakers. Over lunch we discussed this and started to conclude that perhaps we reduce our own bodies ability to defend itself agains infection by making our environment too sterile.

Prior to my grafts I worked on a dairy farm and in winter all sorts of muck gets kicked up in your face!

I understand your hubbies concerns, especially if you have had to get over a bad infection. However doing something you enjoy and having a goal in life is often a very good medicine in itself on the road to recovery.

It worked for my father inlaw after his heart attack last year. He did not want to miss his trip to Germany and the whole familly feel this was instramental in his rapid recovery.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”