Extreme light sensitivity

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Extreme light sensitivity

Postby caroline6505 » Tue 11 Oct 2011 9:28 am

Hi

I discovered that my vision was deteriorating fairly rapidly, over a period of 2 years. After seeking advice and doing a bit of research, I had crosslinking in both eyes (right in June and left in July) and more recently (end of August) a wedge resection with auto lamellar keratoplasty. Since then I've found that my eyes are extremely sensitive to light. Even on a day when it's dull and raining, I've sat with my shades on. I'm curious to know whether it's likely the light sensitivity is due to the crosslinking or whether it's a symptom of Keratoconus/Pellucid Marginal Degeneration? (I'm aware that my eyes were a bit sensitive to light pre-op, but seem to be much more so since). I'm at the stage where I have great difficulty looking at a computer screen, even with the brightness turned down (I'm a graphic designer, and so this is seriously affecting my ability to work).

Thoughts anyone as to whether CXL/C3R causes extreme light sensitivity or whether it's part and parcel of the condition?

Thanks.

Caroline.

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Extreme light sensitivity

Postby Lizb » Wed 12 Oct 2011 1:28 pm

Initally i noticed some sensitivity following cxl, however this had gone within the first couple of months. I havent noticed any longterm increase in light sensitivity since having cxl done 2 years ago and intacs 1 year ago. I am now living in australia and just coming into summer and can still manage easily with my day to day glasses without resorting to sunglasses. I am starting to use my sunglasses more but not due to sensitivity. That said others do suffer more than me wi sensitivity and only you know how sensitive you were previously.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby caroline6505 » Sat 15 Oct 2011 10:32 am

Hi

After a visit to see the surgeon yesterday, turns out that since I'd finished taking the 4 week course of drops that I've stared to react to the stitches. This has a caused a cheese-wise effect on 3 of the 10 stitches. Dr thinks this is what has caused the light sensitivity (I really thought it was down to the CXL and wedge resection, and thought it was par for the course). Back on the steroids.

Caroline.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 18 Oct 2011 5:42 pm

I can sympathise with that, I had a bout of breaking stitches this summer and the photophobia was the biggest hint that something was wrong. You must be glad that at least you know what is going on.

Get a life...get a dog!

liam82
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby liam82 » Wed 19 Oct 2011 8:42 pm

I was noticing light sensitivity for around 3 months after having cross linking done. I still have some, but not as much

fatar760
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby fatar760 » Wed 19 Oct 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Caroline,

Sorry to hear your problems have been going on so long - at least they've been identified and you can go on from there!

Did he say how long it would take until you saw any improvements?

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby caroline6505 » Thu 20 Oct 2011 10:26 am

Hi

It could take up to a year to achieve 6/12 vision in my right eye (after having had the wedge resection/ALK). My vision is better than expected which is a bit of a worry as the surgeon said that if things improved too quickly, it's failed. When I asked him about that, he was quite vague and said 'oh, it'll be fine'. I find the surgeon does have a tendency to say different things on each visit and isn't someone that likes being asked questioned (my questions have been met with 'why do you want to know that?'). After having had CXL I assumed that the light sensitivity was attributed to that, but apparently not – Redness, Sensitivity, Vision, and Pain are warning signs to look out for after surgery. Even so, still thought the light issue was down to CXL and so really difficult to differentiate between what's an issue and what's not. The reaction to the stitches and the cheese-wiring are a bit of a setback, but I have another appointment in 2/3 weeks times. Hopefully things will have settled down.

C.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 21 Oct 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Caroline,
Not too helpful then. Sorry to hear about that. It is difficult to differentiate between what is normal discomfort and what is an alarm bell. I have found that heading into eye casualty when things get unbearable has always worked for me. Although I am very light sensitive, I have always found that when I am wearing two pairs of sunglasses there has always been something wrong, like a broken stitch or infection.

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”