CK For Keratoconus

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

bongoland1
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

CK For Keratoconus

Postby bongoland1 » Tue 23 Aug 2011 2:03 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone come across or had CK performed for Keratoconus? It is supposed to re-model the cornea and reduce astigmatism using energy and is performed by Dr. Brian Boxer-Wachler in the US. I'm sure many of you have come across his name before as he is quite a prominent figure in the Keratoconus world.

http://www.keratoconusinserts.com/ckforastigmatism.htm

I have not heard of this being performed anywhere in the UK and would be interested in hearing people's thoughts. It seems that it can be performed after intacs to further improve the shape of the cornea.

Best,

Bongo

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Re: CK For Keratoconus

Postby Lynn White » Tue 23 Aug 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Bongo,

CK (Conductive Keratoplasty) has been performed for years in the UK to help correct presbyopia. It uses radio waves to shrink connective tissue to help remodel the corneal shape.

It's one drawback is that it does wear off after a couple of years, so that generally, the procedure has to be performed alongside CXL (crosslinking), which is usually what Boxer-Wahler does, I understand.

The new KeraFlex system utilises microwaves in the same sort of way in combination with cross linking.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

bongoland1
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby bongoland1 » Wed 24 Aug 2011 7:56 am

Thanks for that Lynn. The reason I am curious is that I have had both C3R and intacs performed in my right eye in that order here in the UK and am interested to know whether anyone here has had CK after either of these procedures or if you have seen it done in keratoconic eyes. I did ask my surgeon about Keraflex a year or so ago but he was not too happy about it as there was not enough data.

My right eye is far more keratoconic than my left eye, which I have also had C3R performed in. I was able to see really well with soclear lenses in my right eye even before intacs but wanted to get it into ballpark with glasses with the eventual possibility of an implantable toric lens. Because of how bad it was before both surgeries, best corrected glasses vision is still not that great although uncorrected vision is certainly better than it was before. I will be asking about CK at my next follow-up.

Thanks,
Bongo

NickDash
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby NickDash » Wed 31 Aug 2011 11:31 am

All

So the news of CK and C3R (or Corneal Cross Linking) has raised its' head.

The evidence for cross linking offering a benefit long term is overwhelming.

But as Lynn says CK has only been described as a transient correction.

We will have to wait a few years before we see if the corneal remodelling offered by the combined CK and C3R is effective. I am attending the EuCornea and ESCRS, the largest European Congress in two weeks where there are two sessions dedicated to Cross Linking. Let's see what evidence is released there. However there have been a number of papers released have described the efficacy in previous ESCRS congresses on Cross Linking and TCAT.

Lets wait and see and I will report back after the 20th September. But perhaps look up TCAT and Cross Linking.

Nick Dash BSc MCOptom
Optometrist

liam82
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby liam82 » Wed 31 Aug 2011 10:31 pm

Tcat with crosslinking is something ive been looking at lately, its just unbelieveably expensive.

Something to save for I suppose.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”