Question about Hospital Appointment

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gill501
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Question about Hospital Appointment

Postby gill501 » Sun 21 Aug 2011 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question but here goes...

I have my second hospital appointment with the consultant re Keratoconus. I have been "trying" (long story) to wear the rigid contact lens since got the first one 5 weeks ago and first hospital appointment was 3 months ago. For this appointment do I go to the hospital wearing the contact lens or just take it with me? At the first appointment they did several tests, pictures, corneal map etc of my eyes. Not sure if they do this every appointment or not!

I am not getting on too well with these hard contact lenses and hope that my consultant can offer me a bit more support than the optometrist who seems to think I will just get used to wearing them. Hard to "get used to" when you're eyesight seems worse with the lens in, it gives you headaches and makes you want to scratch your eyeball out!

Anyways, look forward to the advice, appointment is on Tuesday.

Thanks
Inside this body lies that of a skinny lady.... But I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Question about Hospital Appointment

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 22 Aug 2011 6:23 am

Take them with you but put them in when you get to the hospital. The ophthalmologist will probably take them out to look at your eye through the slit lamp, but it will be good to let him or her see how the lens sits on your eye and get an impression of how your vision is with the lens in place.

Every good wish.
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”