RGP lenses, irritation and weeping eye!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Elvenmunky
Contributor
Contributor

RGP lenses, irritation and weeping eye!

Postby Elvenmunky » Mon 15 Aug 2011 12:16 pm

I have had kerotaconus for about 5 years. My lenses usually seem to do alright but sometimes my eyes just get irritated by the lens and I have to take them out. My eye retains some of the pain even with the lens out and keeps weeping. This is really embarrassing in public and work as I have to constantly run to the toilet and it also looks as though I have been crying (im a guy). I can't put the lens in again until the next day and it really frustrating as my eyesight is rubbish without even one lens out. I'm writing this in bed as its just happened now to both my lenses and I had to take a day off work. Can some please give me any suggestions on this? I'm in need of help.

Thank you.

harker
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: RGP lenses, irritation and weeping eye!

Postby harker » Mon 15 Aug 2011 12:54 pm

Unfortunately, the occasional bad contact lens day seems to be part of the deal of wearing RGPs. You could try using eyedrops while your lenses are in order to keep the eye comfortable, however.

Keeping tissues by your desk would also minimise the need for toilet trips - but the only solution for your embarrassment will be a thicker skin, I'm afraid...

Elvenmunky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Elvenmunky » Mon 15 Aug 2011 4:20 pm

Is there anything I can do to relieve my eyes so I can put my lenses in again? (besides keeping them out)

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 15 Aug 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Elvenmunky,

There is an article about Good Eye Days, Bad Eye Days on this site which you might find helpful. You can find it at:

http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/exp ... e_day.html

Have you spotted any trigger that is causing your bad eye days? I know that if I wear my lenses for longer that usual one day I suffer a few days later; so I try to avoid excessive wear.

Do you have a pair of back-up glasses? For years I thought that glasses would be of no use to me - but was pleasantly surprised to find they were of some use. (ie not suitable for driving/reading/working - but OK for watching TV). This means that in an evening when my eyes feel tired I can give them a rest. This also helps reduce the probability of a bad eye day.

Also do mention this problem when you next have your contact lens checked in case there is a problem with the fit of the contact lenses.

Lia

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 16 Aug 2011 6:13 am

I use clinitas soothe with which I irrigate my eye while my lens is in place. The artificial tear seems to coat the lens so that it sits more comfortably in my eye, extending my daily wear time and improving my vision.

Check with the people who supply your lens to make sure that your lens type is suitable for this technique.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

delboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delboy » Tue 16 Aug 2011 4:45 pm

Recently i have found eye drops help Celluvisc 0.5%. it could be that you need a new fitting. have you been back to your op ? Feeling for you though, its such a pain. :(
@ Andrew, clinitas soothe never used it is it good?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 16 Aug 2011 5:15 pm

delboy

It's the one that my ophthalmologist recommends.

The whole clinitas range is very good but Soothe has no preservatives, making it suitable for long term use.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jojo19732009
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jojo19732009 » Wed 17 Aug 2011 8:43 am

Hi
I suffer really bad and have to use lenses only for work as my eyes hate all lenses and lotions........... But I have lots off different potions via GP and opt. I now use all preservitive free lotions and medications when needed. But the thing that sorts my eyes is the lacralube ointment before I go to sleep. My eyes are soothed by morning and this helps along with Blink intensive tears as this is a little thicker and a little easier to use. It seems to stay on my eye that few min more. I use a half a box of tears each time I work. Its all a fuss but my eyes dont get as irritated quite so quick.
Its worth a go......
The lacralube is a little messy and oily but the morning after I am much better. You have to give your eyes a little TLC even if you think you are having a good day.......
Jo jo

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Thu 18 Aug 2011 3:40 pm

Sorry to hear you are having problems with RGP's, they are brilliant when they work but can but such a pain when they don't!

Yes as others have said here, I would go back and check with your lens professional to make sure that everything is ok with your lenses. Sadly you can wear lenses for years and then all of a sudden get problems. Maybe your eyes have changed? Also having dry eyes can be extremely painful and every time you are putting lenses in or out you can take some cells off your cornea. I use Systane eye drops morning and night and Blink contact lens drops when I have my lenses in. Without these my eyes are very painful and rub. I also piggy back with my RGP lens, so I have a plain soft lens underneath. I now don't feel the RGP at all.

Do try some glasses as well! I could never find a pair that I could see with, but was very surprised when I went to one recently that John sees. True, I can't drive in them, but I get some rest from lenses in the evenings when I am just watching TV!

Good luck with it!

Love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

delboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby delboy » Fri 02 Nov 2012 12:54 am

Sitting here at 12.00 o'clock in the mprning so frustrated with my right eye which will not heal up after 6 weeks of irritation eye drops etc. even went to a&e last Friday, and they just gave me more eye drops. Optician won't speak to me and just tells his secretary keep using the eye drops till it clears I've noticed a new phononemon a small white sore/ ulcer on the inside of my upper lid! Any suggestions?
Thanks derek

Return to “General Discussion Forum”