General opinions on the early days of wearing contacts

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Studentmac
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

General opinions on the early days of wearing contacts

Postby Studentmac » Sat 06 Aug 2011 4:19 pm

Just wondering how you all (those of you that wear contacts) found the early days of wearing GP Contacts. More about how you found it rather than how I am but noted my 4 days so far

I am really early days only had them since Wednesday and every day has been different.
Wednesday - best vision in memory wore for almost 2 hours and took them out (recomended time to keep them in)
Thursday - Kept them in for a little over 2.5 hours (also recomended time), eyes were watery but no discomfort (still feel them in of course), taking them out took ages as the right lens went walkies and was very painful getting out (kids distracted me, only time I have had problems in or out)
Friday - Eyes were very sore only managed to keep them in 2.5 hours, vision was blury
Today - left eye is very sore, right eye I cant feel at all which is great (checked a few times and it is in place lol), vision is like looking through water, bad eye is the left eye and it has better vision than right eye today

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: General opinions on the early days of wearing contacts

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 07 Aug 2011 8:05 am

Studentmac

don't force yourself to keep the lenses in when you are experiencing discomfort. Just because you keep them in for two hours one day does not mean that you must keep them in for longer the next.

Build up over time. The rewards in better vision will be well worth the patient effort.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Studentmac
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Studentmac » Sun 07 Aug 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks Andrew, today they feel comfortable as can be and took them out after 3 hours just before dinner

delboy
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby delboy » Sat 13 Aug 2011 8:38 am

I would add, keep them clean as well, what type of lens are they?

Studentmac
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Studentmac » Sat 13 Aug 2011 7:58 pm

last two days eyes have been really sore with and without them in, today i havent managed to have them in (bad boy I know) tomorrow aiming for 5 hours but might be tough.

Not really sure on type other than they are gas permiable's, wondering if im not cleaning them right

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 14 Aug 2011 8:01 am

My cleaning regime goes like this:

when lens comes out, I hold it in the hollow of my hand and fill it to overflowing with Total cleaning fluid. I plce my finger in the crucible of the lens and rub it on the palm of my hand for not less than thirty seconds.

I place the lens in a clean bowl and rinse it with sterile saline.

I remove the lens from the sterile saline and place it in a clean carry case which I fill with total wetting and soaking fluid.

When I am putting the lens back in I remove it from the fluid, rinse again with saline and fill the lens with clean wetting and soaking fluid. The fluid in which it has rested overnight is thrown away and the carry case is cleaned.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Studentmac
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Studentmac » Sun 14 Aug 2011 12:36 pm

My left eye lid has been very sore and not actually able to hold it up so just pop it in without.

Think im cleaning lenses right from what you said, im quite a clean person, from google search saw not to used "scented soap" thinking i might be being a prat by trying to be too clean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”