Cross Linking - After Effects

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sue Bell
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Cross Linking - After Effects

Postby Sue Bell » Wed 03 Aug 2011 4:12 pm

My son has had cross linking on his left eye this afternoon. He said the procedure wasn't so bad but he's in quite a bit of pain at the moment. His eye is constantly watering and I've put the drops in which are supposed to help relieve the pain and given him paracetomol but he says it hasn't really made a difference. He's not normally one to complain so I'm a bit worried. I wish I could go through this for him, he's only 17 and doesn't deserve any of this!

I would appreciate any positive comments from anyone who's been through this.

Many thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Cross Linking - After Effects

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 03 Aug 2011 4:37 pm

Sue, I haven't been through this but from the many posts I've read here from people who have, the pain in the first 24 hours can be pretty bad for some people (I guess we all have different pain thresholds so some manage to get through it more easily than others). If it's no better tomorrow, I'm sure the clinic where your son had it done will be happy to speak to you and advise.
All the best
Anne

Newbie99
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Newbie99 » Wed 03 Aug 2011 4:47 pm

If it helps my sister had CXL and was in pain 2/3 days after op. You would probably be going back to see your consultant in 24/36 hrs to have the lens taken out?

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Wed 03 Aug 2011 6:26 pm

I had no end of pain until the bandage contact lens was taken out the following day after cxl. Could barely open my eye. I was recommended to take co-codamol rather than paracetamol after my procedure. I just took co-codamol and turned the lights out and slept/dozed for as much as was possible.

Contary to the level of pain after cxl, i had intacs last november and the bandage lens came out of my eye later in the evening - pain receded almost immediately.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Sue Bell

Postby Sue Bell » Wed 03 Aug 2011 6:58 pm

Many thanks for the replies so far, they've really reassured me. He's asleep at the moment which is good. He has to go back on Monday to have the bandage contact lens removed but I forgot to ask the Consultant if there's a chance of it coming out accidentally? I also wondered if he can have a shower/wash his hair as normal?

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Wed 03 Aug 2011 9:00 pm

Sue,

No showers or hair washing as normal! This can lead to infection if water gets into the eye. I would advise baths and if hair is washed, do it "backwash" style.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

dalbeath
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby dalbeath » Wed 03 Aug 2011 9:01 pm

I was the same for the first 24 hours, I could not bear any lights, it constantly watered, the drops did nothing to stop the pain and all in all I felt rubbish and was in a lot of pain.

But 24 hours later I felt much better and 48 hours once the bandage lens was out I felt fine - just light sensitive.

I was told I could shower and wash my hair but to avoid anything like water or soap getting in due to infection risk and that I was not allowed to go swimming (can't remember how long for as I hate swimming anyway!)

It will be worth it in a day or two, best of luck. :D

dawny

Postby dawny » Thu 04 Aug 2011 12:41 pm

My son had cxl done last week he is 15. I had a panic post on here questioning if it was the right thing to do! He was uncomfortable and in pain for a few days. He was given ibruprofen and cocodemol which he took for two days. He had the bandage lens in for a week as it had not all healed before then. The first few days were hard and he slept most of it and stayed in his room with the curtains drawn. However a few days later he is fine. Vision still a bit hazy but he is asking when he is getting the next eye done and can it be done in term time next time!

He as advised not to get water in his eyes. It is hard when they are in pain but in a few days time I am sure he will be feeling much happier.

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Thu 04 Aug 2011 7:33 pm

I had to get my husband to help me to backwash my hair (it is somewhere down my back for not easy to wash) for about 3 weeks after cxl. I was bathing for around the same length of time. When i did finally shower i was extremely careful about getting shampoo and soap in my eyes and rinsing with saline solution after showering.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Sue Bell

Postby Sue Bell » Thu 11 Aug 2011 3:18 pm

Just a quick update - Josh had his lens taken out on Mon. Consultant is pleased with how it is healing. Just have to keep putting antibiotic and steroid drops in and go back in a month. Vision is back to how it was pre-op and Josh is just carrying on as normal. Waiting for a date for his other eye but there is some debate about whether it is too thin for the procedure - at least we know what to expect this time if it does go ahead. Thanks again for all your support.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”