coping with K.C i need help

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

does anyone have light sensetivity issues since grafts

Poll ended at Sun 07 Aug 2005 8:46 pm

yes
100%
no
No votes
unsure
No votes

Total votes: 3

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

coping with K.C i need help

Postby james mckinlay » Sun 31 Jul 2005 8:46 pm

im james im 24 and from glasgow since i was 14 ive had K.C in both eyes i managed quite good, well as good as you can anyways ive had 2 corneal grafts but since i had them ive had real big problems with light.

recently ive been fighting rejection in the left graft but after 5 years its just started has this happened to anyone else. now its effecting my self esteem and confidence im not depressed im just trying to find the strength to move around like we all do with K.C

please anyone help or advise me thanks a lot :cry:

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 01 Aug 2005 8:09 am

Hi James,

Alot of us are light sensitive both before and after grafts. However once I finally had all the stitches out of my grafts, light sensitivity was not quite so bad. I am light sensative now, but I think that is down to the route my KC has taken and completely graft unrelated.

Most of us wear sunglasses most of the time. My computer screen is turned quite dark but the ligt is what I would consider normal but no-one else can see a thing on it.

Have a word with yuor consultant and give dark glasses a go and see if they help any.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 01 Aug 2005 9:21 am

Hi James, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. My graft is 3.5 years old now, and in that time I've had 6 rejection episodes, but each time it was reversed using steroid drops. I now stay on the steroids (FML) as a precautionary measure. How is your rejection being managed?

As far as light sensitivity (photophobia) is concerned, Gareth is right. Photophobia is a symptom of KC in general, and may have nothing to do with your grafts. If in doubt, talk to your consultant, and if it's more comfortable for you, don't be afraid of looking stupid for wearing sunglasses indoors -- you may start a trend!

All the best,
John

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 01 Aug 2005 10:48 am

Hi

Ive been the opposting now, I have no light sensitivity in the grafted eye..I swear Im a freak!

In the first week I had to wear glasses for about 20 mins if I was going out straight in the morning but now I get none.....not really sure why that is.

I think the self esteem and confidence stems from basically not being comfortable when we cant see......that sounds soo obvious but thats how it affects me.....as then we have soo much more to think about as in logistics etc.
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

help me

Postby james mckinlay » Mon 01 Aug 2005 7:36 pm

hey guys thanks for the advice ive been saying to my consultant for years about the light issue but get nowhere but its a great thing to know others have the same thing i have reaction lenses but they dont make a difference but thanks for your help im so glad i found this site cuz if i hadnt id be in big bother. :P [/i]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”