Solutions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Brooksy789
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Solutions

Postby Brooksy789 » Wed 15 Jun 2011 11:10 am

Right guys and girls im looking for a new solution for inserting my RGPs. At the minute im using my Baush and Lomb Boston Conditioning solution and for a year or more havent seem to have any problems but recently i just cant get on with it. Its far too gloopy for me to get on with (i know this sounds weird as i used to happily get on with it).

The problem i have is the boston solution is really gloopy and takes a long time to settle down and get right and if it doesnt go right i seem to get smears on my lens though the benefit is when it does go in ok i dont seem to have a problem with comfort for the day. I have also tried to use some comfort drops (these are very watery like saline) witch seem better for insertion and it settles very quick but lens comfort only seems to last a few hours and then i want to take the lens out.

Is there anything anyone can recomend to use thats not as gloopy as boston solution but not as watery as comfort drops/saline. Im trying to find that fine balance inbetween and hope that it will help me.

Thanks all

Matt

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Solutions

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 15 Jun 2011 11:46 am

Tesco own brand my RGP :) I use Celluvisc drops during the day (on prescription from the Doc else it works out at £40 a month eeek

Ian

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 15 Jun 2011 11:57 am

use AMO Total Care for soaking and wetting. I use their daily cleaner for cleaning and I use clinitas soothe to lubricate my eye when the lens is in place.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Brooksy789
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby Brooksy789 » Wed 15 Jun 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks andrew.

Ian my consultant at hospital prescribed me celluvisc and i got 6 boxes which was great but when i came to get my repeat from the doctor they gave me one box which lasts all of a week if that. i told the doctors it was rediculous and i would need about 6 boxes and explained that was what my consultant gave me and they gave me 2 boxes next time. Absolute joke! so i dont use it now because i cant afford a 7 quid prescription every week when i know i could get more of it if the stupid doctors took note.

alan_mcghie
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby alan_mcghie » Wed 15 Jun 2011 4:24 pm

I used to use AMO but changed to Boots all in one, its pretty good & not to gloopy

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 15 Jun 2011 5:00 pm

It would be worth getting. a prepaid certificate when you have your up
Its £104 a year or 10.40 a month over10 months then all your prescriptions are covered http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011173

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 15 Jun 2011 7:01 pm

that should be op

Ryles

Postby Ryles » Thu 28 Jul 2011 9:56 am

I use and swear by Amo Total care all-in-one, I used to use that Boston stuff and have tried a few shop brands but always go back to Amo. It's less gloopy than other solutions and you can get it from ASDA for £3.20! I would suggest trying them all at first, you will find one that suits you.

zeke

Postby zeke » Thu 28 Jul 2011 11:16 am

I am using QUATTRO made by ABATRON its a all steps in one solution. Can be used with both hard and soft lenses. I use with rgp lenses and find it very good

ChrisW
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Fri 29 Jul 2011 7:56 am

I seem to have perfected the right method for me after decades! I leave mine overnight in Total Care Disinfecting, Storing and Wetting Solution. In the morning, I clean with the Daily Cleaner, rinse thoroughly (if not, it's like putting washing up liquid in my eyes), then rinse again with the Disinfecting and Storing Solution and then rinse again with saline solution (this tip was picked up from the forum as some people's eyes react to the Disinfecting solution). I then put a couple of drops of Celuvisc in my eyes, followed by drops on both sides of the lenses before insertion. That works a treat for me. Know what you mean about the cost of Celuvisc, but during the daytime I keep bottles of dry eye solution (various makes) in the fridges both at work and home, so the moment my eyes start feeling uncomfortable, I flood them several times. I find the coldness and volume really help. Good luck! Chris

Return to “General Discussion Forum”