Just when i thought some good was coming my way

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

crakerjacker
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Just when i thought some good was coming my way

Postby crakerjacker » Sat 28 May 2011 11:10 am

Went to see my consultant and i got really bad news. Please visithttp://www.mycorneatransplant.blogspot.com

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Re: Just when i thought some good was coming my way

Postby space_cadet » Sat 28 May 2011 2:13 pm

Oh Crackerjackmy thoughts are with you. I really wish they would warn more of teh risk of cataracts from steriod use, as I myuself had one dx by Mr M a few months ago.

x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 28 May 2011 2:22 pm

I thought you'd finished with bad news - you've had far more than your fair share of setbacks, so no wonder you're feeling low.
Did your consultant explain why it wasn't possible to replace your natural lens with a toric lens? Would the prescription be too complicated?
I know you were hoping for good unaided visiion after your graft so this is a big let down. But the majority of people do need correction post op. I hope once you've had the cataract removed, you'll find the vision with specs is good and life won't feel so grim after all. (I'm assuming contact lenses in the grafted eye aren't an option for you?)
All the best.
Anne

longhoc
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby longhoc » Sat 28 May 2011 4:35 pm

Hello Johnny

Thanks for your post and your blog. I've been dithering and trying to make up my mind about whether to have a graft for the past week or so and obviously your story has really given me somthing to thing about. We get told about risks don't we, but the reality of it when it doesn't go according to plan isn't spelt out the way you and Lia tell it.

Not that I am ruling it (DALK/PK) out as it might end up being a choice that I think is right for me, but I will at least go into it with my eyes open (no pun intended).

Somewhere below is a post about a whether there is a "Keratoconus type" of personality. Let me tell you, if you had our condition for 20 or 30 years and it wasn't easy peasy management with a set of nicely fitting RGPs it would affect you more than just physically too.

Wishing you better times in the future. Sending good karma your way mate. Grit your teeth and try to get through it as best you can.

Kind regards

Chris

crakerjacker
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby crakerjacker » Sat 28 May 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for your kind words all.

i was too shocked when he told me that i had a cataract forming that i couldn't think of any questions.

I need to do some research on cataracts so i know more about it and can then start making a list of questions. I believe it cannot be fitted with a torik lens due to the prescription but always though the torik lens was going in front of my own lens. Now this needs to be removed I am not even sure a torik lens is available.

I just have no idea and have this thought in my head that i will only be able to see a fixed distance. Can anyone offer any help with my understanding of this?

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 29 May 2011 8:23 am

That is exactly what happened to me. Steroid use led to the development of a cataract in each eye. They took me in, tweeked out the cloudy lens and fitted a sparkling new one. This also meant that I have better correction as the lens they placed in my eye works in conjunction with the glasses and contact lenses.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Sun 29 May 2011 12:01 pm

Hiya mate dont know what to say I have not had a corneal graft but I am in the middle of a cataract surgery story. I have posted on here about that but to reiterate I had a cataract removed and no implant I am going for a contact lens fitting and may have an implant second. I was told that a Toric IOL can be a nightmare to fit a contact lens over you might find things turn out much better than you think.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 30 May 2011 1:22 am

Oh what a bummer!!!!!
DO hope you get some better news soon.
Cataracts (and glaucoma) from steroid ee drop use are some of the known risks of grafts,ut not ones that seem to be high on the list of warnings. (Nor, for that matter, is the possiiity that the grafted eye may prove lens-intolerant - I have that, and recall no advance warning at all; also th aglaucoma, fortunately not cataracts yet...)
As regards cataracts: modern style is to remove your natural claudy lens and replace with a new lens of some type of plastic (there are various types).
Your eye then has far less ability to "accommodate", ie. adjust the focal length of the eye lens to focus on things at different distances.
Most people have a new, artifical lens set for distance vision, and have to wear reading glasses for reading (and sometimes different pairs of reading glasses for "mid-range" work such as using computers.
This isn't compulsory! - though some people alas don't get offered the option, and thiink it has to be the distance lens they are fitted with. It is possible, I gather, to be fitted with a new lens set to focus at short of mid-range distances. Then you would read/use computers with the new eye lens and need distance vision glasses for things out and about needing good distance vision.
Make sure they tell you this and discuss the pros and cons! - don't let them tell you it has to be distance vision new lens.
One of the pros, of course, for most people is that if you need distance vision glasses you have to go to an opoticians and they get expensive, whereas you can buy reading glasses at two pairs for a fiver in ASDA. Over the counter, well, off the shelf into the basket while you get your groceries. No doubt other supermarkets too.
Toric lenses I don't know about. Is it possile they need to do the cataract op first and let that settle down efore they can think about any further surgical options, though?
Best of wishes,and I hoe things look up soon.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”