Any similarities between KC'ers

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Libby
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Any similarities between KC'ers

Postby Libby » Fri 27 May 2011 9:25 pm

Hi Everyone

I know that it is a well known fact that a lot of people who suffer from KC have allergies such as hayfever, asthma and eczema - but i was wondering if there are any other traits that we have in common.

One of the first pieces of info i read about it was in a very old medical book in the late 70's which said it affects on average 1 - 10,000 people and it affects people of a higher intelligence (I'll go with that fact lol).

Libby

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Re: Any similarities between KC'ers

Postby Ali Akay » Sat 28 May 2011 8:32 am

Hi Libby

We had an interesting and amusing discussion on this on the forum 2-3 years ago. There used to be talk about different traits of keratoconics, and even "KC personality type" was mentioned in the 70s and 80s! A typical keratoconic was described as highly intelligent, articulate, somewhat demanding and perhaps hard to please! So, is there any truth in it? My experience is that its no longer applicable as we see keratoconics from all socio-economic groups, intelligence levels, and personality types. In the 70s and 80s, the biggest patient group in hospital contact lens clinics used to be elderly patients who had had cataract surgery and needed extended wear contact lenses (this was before artificial lens implants became commonplace). Apart from this largely placcid group of patients with relatively straightforward needs, there was the odd young patient with this thing called keratoconus! They were often well educated, articulate, and could be seen as "difficult" patients. Technically they were often challenging as suitable lens types were very limited in those days.

The demographics of contact lenses clinics has changed dramatically, and now keratoconics are by far the largest patient group. Some are very laid back and easily pleased, some very demanding, very well informed (thanks to google !), and others are somewhere in-between. In other words, they are no different to other patient groups. At my clinic at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge I see a lot of University students with KC who are evidently highly intelligent to gain a place at Cambridge. The majority are absolutely delightful, but there is a small number who fit into the so called "KC personality type". On the other hand I also do a Clinic at another hospital where the KC patient profile is very different in terms of socio-economic groups etc, but they are not that different in terms of their general "personality type".

I guess one could debate whether developing KC in the prime of one's life, coping with the daily demands of living with KC, ignorance of a lot of professionals about their problems, worries about risk of their condition deteriorating, and possibly needing corneal transplant, could result in some KC patients not being prepared to be fobbed off and hence being perceived as "demanding" and "difficult". Its hardly surprising really!

So, do keratoconics have higher IQ? Well, some do, and I am sure you're one of them!

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Anna Mason » Sun 29 May 2011 12:05 pm

I have had KC since I was 11 or 12 (Over 40 years) but only remember it being given a name in my teens it does cause a lot of stress because like deafness people cant see it and dont understand.

I wont go into all the stuff thats happened over those years but I am lovely and incredibly intelligent except on the days when I am a grumpy old bat.

Libby
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Libby » Sun 29 May 2011 1:52 pm

Hi folks

I think the uncertainty of KC can make us rather anxious patients. I know I personally hate it when the optometrist is looking into my eye with one of those machines. Im afraid im a bit of a pessimist and always think they are going to give me bad news.

Thank goodness for this website for our newly diagnosed KC'ers. They have a wealth of experience from us older KC'ers and masses of expertise from the optometrists and administrators and all the latest developements with CXL. intacs, lenses etc.

I for one would like to thank you all - your support is immense.

Libby x

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 30 May 2011 1:07 am

Ali Akay sayshe sees a lot of Cambridhe university students with KC:
That's interesting! - when I was at Oxford and going to the Radcliffe eye hosp in mad panics about hydrops and possible effect of imminent transplnat of degree course, I was the only student I ever knew with KC.
ANd the consultant told his (medical) student I was a very inteligent lady who'd even diagnosed my own condition! - I said, not difficult to guess second hydrops as it was just like what happened in the other eye during my frst year, now happened in my second eye at start of my Finals term.
Logically, in an establishment of tht size, there should have been a few of us..... but never met up. How times ahve changed for the etter with this group.
Mind, I think the world going completely white 6 weeks before finals would probably terrify anyone, support group or no.
These days, I'd probably get a medical certificate or half a dozen and claim special circumstances.
NOthing like that then.
It does strike me that there is something in the "KC personality" - you need to be bloody-minded to get diagnosed with KC and sent for special contacts during O level work, spend a lot of time out o school sitting around in hospital waiting rooms (or more often, dark corridors too dark to read when trying to keep up with one's school work somehow,) and/or contact lens fitters appointments, tring new lenses, then being told to elave lenses out for sore eyes .... and still get good results and uni place. Takes a certain amount of bloody-mindedness to keep sturggling on and not give up. Mind, I would say that, wouldn't I? - the one with the reputation for being an opinionated loud-mouthed trouble-maker and all that.
NOt that the one and only Ken claims to have prolems with me (apart from fitting my odd-shped eyes, I mean).
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”