Update

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Helen G
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Update

Postby Helen G » Fri 20 May 2011 1:16 pm

Had another appointment yesterday

Right eye (3 month post transplant) - pressure is high so swapped from dexamethasone to vexol, had my 1st refraction which I got 3 lines down on the chart. I thought that was pretty good but Mr P didn't seem very impressed, says can get on with fitting a lens for a bit better vision for now.

Left eye - vision with new lens is 3 lines with double vision etc, eye very inflamed and sticky, to use the vexol in that eye 4x a day now too. A little worried the drops will cause the cataract to become a problem.

I did feel reassured yesterday, he seemed to immediately notice the problems I am having and commented on how poor my vision was without me having to complain.

Back next week for more lens fitting (both eyes i think) and recheck of pressures etc

GrandPaClanger

Re: Update

Postby GrandPaClanger » Fri 20 May 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the update Helen hope they get the pressure sorted. That's the bit that concerns me with the Dox.... drops. Mr P told me that he could have me back in a lens in three months so you must be on target. Don't suppose you have any idea what type they are trying to fit. ?
Ian

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 20 May 2011 8:19 pm

I remember getting drops to reduce pressure and a change of the steroid drops after one of my grafts many years ago. It did the trick. And do tell us more about the lens fitting when it happens, both of you. I know Moorfields have been fitting scleral lenses 3 mths or so post graft for a few years now for some people, but I hadn't come across other lenses being used early on. Hope all continues to go well with your respective grafts!
Anne

Helen G
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Helen G » Fri 27 May 2011 4:10 pm

Woke up today with a sore transplant eye and less vision, so was glad I had an appointment this morning to get it checked.

The optom could see some areas that were staining at the top of the graft so sent me to eye casualty to get that looked at. The dr there couldnt see a problem except for a loose stitch, so sent me for a topography, then diagnosed a tight stitch (!) and discharged me with no treatment or follow up needed. Optom wasnt happy so went off to find someone from mr P's team. Anyway turns out have something wrong with stitches and booked me in for re-stitch June 6th (I didnt catch all whats wrong) On antibiotics and some gel until then. Pressure is back to normal so really relieved about that, and no rejection.

Left eye then got a lens refit, settled with a large RoseK IC (?) they were really happy with the fit, and I couldnt see any significant distortion with the lens but hard to tell until it has the right prescription in it! Ordering it in the most inert material possible, fingers crossed my eye doesnt object to this lens as much as the previous. Did mention trying sclerals.

Ah well not all bad, not lost hope that it will all come right sometime soon :)

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 30 May 2011 1:38 am

Glad the pressure's coming down and good luck with the stitches.
As I understand it - the advantage of fitting sclerals soon post-graft is that, ecause they arch over the whole cornea with a tear reservoir behind, they will still go on doing so if/when the eye changes shape. SO the same lens can still be useful.
You could fit other types of lens early - but you could end up trying to hit the proverbial moving target, if the eye keeps changing shape and you need new lenses to fit well asfast as they can be made and issued. WHich also gets very expensive!
I can still wear the scleral fitted 3 months post graft, now over 3 years ago (I don't very often, for various reasons, mainly poor lens tolerance due to the grafted endothelium layer rapidly getting hypoxic and foggy - and the result is pretty long-sighted which is hard to get my brain around. But the lens still fits.)
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”