wearing sungasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

corky
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

wearing sungasses

Postby corky » Tue 17 May 2011 10:03 pm

just wandering does anyone else have problems wearing sunglasses.have KC in my right eye stopped wearing rgp lens as i couldnt tolerate them.the problem is if i try wearing sunglasses in the summer all i can see is a line right in the middle of my vision kinda feels like theres a lollipop stick sitting on my nose so i cant wear sunglasses either.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: wearing sungasses

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 18 May 2011 6:20 am

maybe you are trying to use the wrong sunglasses. Also, why stop wearing contact lenses just because you can't wear one sort of lens? There are all sorts of lenses that you could try. Piggy back (soft lens with an rgp on top of it), Hybrid (a hard lens with a soft skirt) Sclerals (sometimes called haptic), etc

Never give up.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

corky

Postby corky » Wed 18 May 2011 2:31 pm

the reason for not trying different lens is because i wasnt told about different types of lens at the clinic.and had not enough information.but have all the information now thanks to this site.going to clinic on friday so will ask plenty questions

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 18 May 2011 2:33 pm

corky

I usually write down the questions I want to ask. That way I can be sure that I manage to ask everything and get answers!

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Wed 25 May 2011 4:10 pm

Strange I was going to mention Sunglasses but for a different reason so I wont hijacl your post. Andrew is so right there are lots of options that is why I now have a scleral in my left eye I couldnt wear RGP and even softperm became difficult if they cant offer you alternatives ask to be referred to someone who can. I know that some clinics just wot consider some types of lens. If you have a very steep cornea sclerals are ideal and although daunting once you have worn them for a while they are a peice of cake.

drink
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby drink » Wed 25 May 2011 8:47 pm

You are probably finding RGP intolerable, because the fit is probably not right. SOmetimes your eyes change and the lens would become very annoying and would need changing and a different fit needed.

I am currently only using one lens because my left contact is intolerable, this is due to the condition of the eye changing again within 6 months. Had a re-fit session and ordered couple lenses, have to wait 4 weeks now for the next refitting session :evil: , in the meantime i have to live with only one lens to keep my vision which is very very annoying.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 30 May 2011 1:56 am

SOrry if this is a silly question but have you tried different types of sunglasses?
And different shades?
I swear by th epolarising ones to cut down the glare. SOme people seem to like th eUVA/UVB block types, or the reactolight photochromic ones.
As for the shade - I normally waer the ordinary grey ones these days. I do have a pair of brown ones, just like some of the grey ones, and oddly find they almost make things worse because everything look brighter being brown. The polaroid cuts down glare but the brown shade brightens up. Very odd. SO maybe try different tints.
I get mine from a company called Cobolt Systems, who make a lot of stuff for blind/vision-disabled people (talking kitchen equipment, talking and Braille watches, large-number clocks and the like). I've got the semi-wrap curved ones that are small enough to fit under my riding helmet, and the big ones with the square side peices with sunglass material in for when I'm not wearing a helmet. The prices I forget exactly ut weren't bad.
If you try googling them, note that's "Cobolt" with 2 O's - Google will try to assume it's a typing error and try to give you results full of entries for "cobalt" with an A like the shade of blue.
Rosemary

jojo19732009
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jojo19732009 » Fri 03 Jun 2011 4:40 pm

I have found a pair of sunglasses that are great. They are called solarshield from my optitians. They are used for patients with eye conditions and just for General wear. they block the light from the top and the sides and you can wear them over your glasses and are perfect protection from the sun and are good just to use on there own with your lenses. They look just like a modern pair of sunglasses and when you wear them over your glasses no one can tell either. They cost £20. There is a web site but dont Know if they sell direct. I havent met anyone who says they can tell they are different. They are brown polarised lenses and provide good UV protection. Maybe have a look....... Jo

Return to “General Discussion Forum”