Another generation

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Another generation

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 15 May 2011 5:18 pm

I have keratoconus.
My son has keratoconus.
His son was born yesterday. Will he have keratoconus?

Of course, I know that this question is unanswerable. My own response would be 'I hope not', but it would be good to have some way to tell early in his life if Andrew will be afflicted in the same way as his father and grandfather.

Andrew (senior)
Andrew MacLean

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Re: Another generation

Postby space_cadet » Sun 15 May 2011 5:34 pm

Congratulations on the new arrival :)

I read somewhere that the heriditary aspect of KC is around just under 10%, sadly time will tell if your Grandson has KC or not, but at least with you n his dad aware of the signs you will be able to get help early.

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Legy de feral
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Legy de feral » Sun 15 May 2011 10:11 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your Grandson old fellow, whoops- I mean Andrew :lol: Lovely too that he has been named after you. Is Andrew the first grandchild?

I am sorry to read your son has KC. My eldest child, a boy, has mild KC and my youngest, a girl, has just hit puberty and has sight problems. They haven't said KC yet though.

It is a whole new issue to deal with isn't it? It is bad enough you have KC but when your children and possibly your grandchildren have it it, is worse in some ways.

My mother has excessive guilt that that she may have passed KC onto me (sight problems, never diagnosed as KC but older and always seen country docs. I had to go to a capital city to have mine diagnosed)

But at least for some of our kids and our grandkids there are/will be new techniques and lenses. And you never know, perhaps our grandkids will see a cure.

Enjoy Andrew Junior, Andrew :)

Helen G
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Helen G » Mon 16 May 2011 10:12 am

Congratulations on your new arrival

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 16 May 2011 5:13 pm

:oops:

Thanks. Yes, Andrew is our first grandchild. And, yes, he is beautiful. :)

Truthfully, I am not too worried about his developing keratoconus. If he is going to then he will; what I really don't look forward to is years of his going for eye tests and wondering if they will spot something this time, next time ...

If he does develop KC, he will do what we all do. he will cope. I just wish there was some way of knowing.
Andrew MacLean

sarkac
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby sarkac » Tue 24 May 2011 7:43 am

Congratulations Andrew hope everything goes well with the little one
By the next generation hopefully they should try and eradicate KC .. lol :)

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Mon 27 Jun 2011 9:53 am

8) Congrats on your 1st grandchild Andrew!!

My lad who's 8 now has been wearing glasses for the past 5 years. Like me he has severe astigmatism and myopia and his prescription is not a lot weaker than mine :o

Last year when I saw my consultant I mentioned my concerns about his vision especially as he gets his prescription changed roughly every 3 months. My consultant said he would see him at St Pauls even though it was not normally done. When he was seen my consultant said that KC couldn't be ruled out but because of my lads age there is not a lot they can do as the eye is still developing and that they would see him again when he is 12.

Who kmows what new treatments will be available by then and as he grows up.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 27 Jun 2011 10:01 am

Thanks to all for your good wishes.

Andrew has developed a slight problem with his eyes already: a blocked tear duct had meant that he has been in and out of hospital and has been taking antibiotics (intravenous and oral as well as topic) for two of his six weeks. These are anxious days.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Mon 27 Jun 2011 8:06 pm

So sorry to hear this about Andrew Junior. Keeping him in my prayers n thoughts. x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Return to “General Discussion Forum”