Keratoconus-Cross-linking effective over 40?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

freedom4life
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Keratoconus-Cross-linking effective over 40?

Postby freedom4life » Thu 05 May 2011 9:48 am

Greetings!

I have had Keratoconus for several years and only have had the money, opportunity and time to have something done about it. I am going to get cross-linking done, but I am 44 years of age (chronologically) I don't smoke and rarely drink, if at all. I am rather healthy for my age, with no other ailments that would hinder my daily routines. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has it done over the age of 40 and what were the effects for you? Did your poor vision recede back to a better one and stop the progression of said disease? Any complications afterwords? What is the best dosage (amount of Riboflavin or Collagen drops) and exposure to U.V. light for maximum results? I want my vision to be restored some what, but would that depend on the thickness/stiffness of the Cornea? I would especially welcome the responses of any Ophthalmologists. Thank you kindly for your time and replies in this matter.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Keratoconus-Cross-linking effective over 40?

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 05 May 2011 10:27 am

Greetings and welcome,
From the various talks from ophthalmologists that we've had at meetings and conferences, CXL isn't usually done after the age of 40 as the cornea starts to thicken naturally after that and most KC stabilises (though there are always exceptions to any generalisation about KC!)
But I see from your tagline that you're on the waiting list for a graft, which suggests that your KC is advanced in one eye. Was it the other eye you were thinking of CXL for? If you'd like the DVD of our 2009 conference, when we had talks covering all the various options for KC these days, including CXL do e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk and I'll send you a copy.
All the best
Anne

freedom4life
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby freedom4life » Thu 05 May 2011 10:52 am

Thank you for the reply....

I would say that my right eye has advanced KC and my left eye has been affected to a minor degree. In addition, I believe KC has stopped progressing for awhile. I will have the right done first and then wait for the results. I feel that the results wile still be noticeable, even at my age. I also take supplements for eye health (i.e. bilberry) which has proven to help with my astigmatism, caused by KC. Thank you for your input.

Accuvision Optom
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Other

Postby Accuvision Optom » Mon 09 May 2011 3:00 pm

Welcome to the forum,

I am an Optometrist at Accuvision where we regularly perform Corneal Collagen Cross-linking treatments. We have treated many patients like yourself and of a similar age. It is appropriate to consider cross-linking when the condition is still progressing, although after the age of 40 this is rare. When the cornea is thick enough, we have helped patients achieve better quality of vision by combining cross-linking with topography-guided laser treatment. This can be considered at any age. It is important to understand that simple cross-linking on its own is not intended to improve vision but to stabilise the condition and preserve the vision you have. So far the results have been promising, we have not witnessed any regression in any of the patients treated so far, however this is something that has only been available for a few years. Another alternative to restore vision is to implant a lens inside the eye to correct an optical defect. This is something which can be considered after cross-linking.

I hope this information helps answer some of your questions.
Happy to help if you have more.

Anthony

aqlanb
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby aqlanb » Wed 11 May 2011 10:27 am

i am fifty and have had an intacs implanted in november 2010
as yet my vision has not stabalised my consultant says it is good ,
my opthalmist tells me the centre is distorted now
and i have been told cross linking might correct this , i had no idea age was a factor
also as cross linking is covered by private healthcare does anyone know the cost ?

Legy de feral
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Legy de feral » Thu 12 May 2011 2:52 am

Are you able to wear a lens in your right eye and gain functional vision Freedom?

longhoc
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby longhoc » Thu 12 May 2011 7:55 am

Hi aqlanb

Re your question about insurance covering Crosslinking, depending on your policy's T's and C's it may well do... that said, others here have reported issues getting providers to accept the claim. If you do want to pursue this, contact your insurers claims line and see how you get on. Let me know if they don't accept the claim, it may take a bit of hassle and you need to approach it in the right way.

I'm not qualified to give any medical opinion, but i have seen studies which indicate that Crosslinking has a higher chance of less good outcomes for those over 35. So it might be worth checking with the person in the clinic what they think risks are for our sort of age group vs. the potential benefits.

Good luck and best wishes

Chris

aqlanb
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby aqlanb » Thu 12 May 2011 12:58 pm

thanks for the replies , since my implant i still haven't been given a lens or glasses to use i now to go back in july for another eye test before i see my consultant in september ,
i now know the risks of cross linking which were not explained to me by consultant , ( which it think is a little naughty) . hopefully it will settle down and i will be able to return to some balanced vision

Return to “General Discussion Forum”