How long did you wait for an eye?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

stevematic
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: How long did you wait for an eye?

Postby stevematic » Fri 20 May 2011 6:04 am

I was put on the list in late December and I have my graft scheduled for August 29th.

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Fri 20 May 2011 8:01 am

In south africa I was told the wait could be 2 years. I ended up paying for donor tissue to be flown out from USA (apparently they send their excess to the third world countries). The wait for this was 3 weeks and after some motivation my Medical insurance paid the extra over of about R10000 (about 1000 pounds). So thanks to a family on the other side of the world I can see and didn't have to stop working for 2 years.

stevematic
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby stevematic » Fri 20 May 2011 9:53 am

stevematic wrote:I was put on the list in late December and I have my graft scheduled for August 29th.

Sorry, forgot to say it will be at Cabrini Hospital in Brighton, Victoria, Australia. The donation service is Lions Eye Donation Service, Melbourne.

snorkelboy
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby snorkelboy » Sat 21 May 2011 5:46 pm

I had my initial appointment in December 2010 and had my graft in early April this year so a wait of 3/4 months.

Bob Mason
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Bob Mason » Sun 22 May 2011 10:17 am

snorkelboy wrote:I had my initial appointment in December 2010 and had my graft in early April this year so a wait of 3/4 months.

Which hospital was that at please - we are trying to build up a picture of waiting times around the UK.

Bob
Today is not soon enough to do what should have been done yesterday - at least that is what my Granny used to say. Trouble is I need a 26 hr day and a nine day week just to keep up.

Brooksy789
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby Brooksy789 » Sun 22 May 2011 12:55 pm

I was put on the list December 24th 2010 and i have yet to hear anything about a pre op or graft date if this helps? That makes it 5 months without even a slight word or hint about an op. My hospital is The Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham.

Matt

snorkelboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby snorkelboy » Mon 23 May 2011 10:18 pm

My hospital is Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 30 May 2011 2:24 am

I had clinic appointment in late Oct 2007 when decided to go for a graft, and doctor sat down at computer there and then, tapped away, said wait currently 3 months and booked it in 3 months to day! - though I was warned that if there was shrtage of donor corneas, I may get rung up and postponed. But (unfortunately as it turns out) that didn't happen.
SO went ahead late Jan 2008.
This was in London at hospital I'm advised not to name as it went so long (PM me if you need info) and the cornea came from the UK transplant centre people in Bristol. At least, the paperwork with it came from Bristol; no idea where the actua donor had lived) and thence into the hospital's own eye bank for their own further testing.
Donor cornea at that time had been lined up for at least one other person and not gone ahead and was on its last day before time expiring.
Paperwork came with rest of my medical notes when I had to use the data protection act to try to find out what drugs they'd given me that I was having such a terrible adverse reaction to (consultant's response to me maing such an enquiry was to tell me to get off the premises before he called security and had me thrown out bodily. Hence DPA. It came with rather more than I'd expected!
They do say that waiting time can vary markedly over time, and I gather it has gone up since then.
Rosemary

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 07 Jun 2011 10:38 am

I too was booked in for 3 mths from the date the decision was made for each of my grafts. But that was more than 20 years ago, and even then things seemed to vary a lot in different parts of the country.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”