Eye Hospitals in the UK

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Bob Mason
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Re: Eye Hospitals in the UK

Postby Bob Mason » Sat 23 Apr 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks Michelle

St James Leeds is the eye clinic my wife attends. We always take a flask and sandwiches as the shortest time we have ever spent in the clinic is 3hrs 55 minutes. 6 hrs is not unusual. However once you get through all the juniors and get to a consultant the treatment you recieve is first class.

Thanks for the info about Hull. Where is the hospital, its name, post code and telephone number would be a big help too.

Bob
Today is not soon enough to do what should have been done yesterday - at least that is what my Granny used to say. Trouble is I need a 26 hr day and a nine day week just to keep up.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Sat 23 Apr 2011 11:33 pm

Bob I am stunned at how long you have had to wait at jimmy's I am usually in and out in a max of 2 hours.

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Bob Mason
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Mason » Sun 24 Apr 2011 5:06 am

Hi Lea

We were there on Wednesday of last week for a 3pm appointment. I have to get there about 2pm to make sure I can get a place on the disabled car park Just occasionally I get a place straight away but Wednesday was typical and I had to queue for 25 mins. Once in the clinic we had the routine eye test and settled down to wait. We were sat outside the senior's room (the consultant wasn't there) and the usual queue of junior Drs soon built up which meant they were seeing about one patient every 35 to 40 mins. We finally were seen by one of the juniors at 4:40pm and we left the clinic at 4.55pm. By our standards this was quite quick because when we try to see Mr Morrel due to all the interuptions, we have waited 4 hrs just to get in his room and then been in there an hour while he answers all his juniors questions.

I am hoping that this thursday things will go a bit smoother as it is op day. My wife is VERY apprehensive about the op and it wouldn't take much for her to refuse the op and to just put up with being effectively blind. Sixteen months has been a long time to wait for a donor eye and I'm afraid has lead to a nasty bout of depression.

Rgds

Bob
Today is not soon enough to do what should have been done yesterday - at least that is what my Granny used to say. Trouble is I need a 26 hr day and a nine day week just to keep up.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sun 24 Apr 2011 5:26 pm

If they try put you on David Beavers Unit over night after the op refuse the staff on their couldnt organise a p**s up in bewry.... inbow me for more info.

I really hope things improve for your wife, I am only a 10 mins walk from jimmys if you want to have a natter let mek now

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Laura Hook
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Laura Hook » Sun 24 Apr 2011 9:19 pm

Hi- there's also an eye hospital in Plymouth, the Royal Eye Infirmary
Laura :D

Bob Mason
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Mason » Wed 27 Apr 2011 4:20 pm

Has anyone on the forum had any experience of using the PEARS scheme in Wales? If you have, can they spot things like a graft threatening rejection?

Bob Mason
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Mason » Fri 06 May 2011 12:55 pm

Would you be so kind as to go to the home page of this new site and use the link to send me a message. I am told that some of you have done but the messages haven't been getting through. I need to know that there are messages in the system to be able to find the blockage so if you do send me a message via the site please also PM me to let me know there is one on the way

Many Thanks

Bob

Michelle Oates
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Michelle Oates » Tue 10 May 2011 3:49 pm

hi bob

yes i go to st james's-jimmys as well but i get in quite quick as i get hospital transport. Im there twice in one week this week. its 2 hours travelling generally each way just for maybe 30 minutes.

The hull and east yorkshire eye hospital address
is

Hull Royal Infirmary, Anlaby Road, Hull HU3 2JZ Main Tel: 01482 328541

Space CAdet
After i had my graft i got put on bevers ward overnight. wasnt a great experience. but yet i had a fit in the bathroom and the consultant said i was only doing it for attention. (i do have epilepsy)

Michelle

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Tue 10 May 2011 5:09 pm

Michelle - that is not good :( hope you were able to put in a complaint.

Lea x

Return to “General Discussion Forum”