Advice

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eileen hughes
Contributor
Contributor

Advice

Postby eileen hughes » Thu 30 Jun 2005 9:38 am

Can anyone tell me whether there are any problems with KC sufferers going on the fast rides at Theme Parks?

The reason I ask is that my Dad, constant worrier, thinks that my son (recently diagnosed) shouldn't be without some sort of eye protection! The worrier that he is also thinks that maybe he shouldn't ride his bike without some sort of protection for his eyes.

I am sure that he is alright but to keep my Dad happy thought would try and get some advice from other sufferers.

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Thu 30 Jun 2005 9:51 am

Well I don't know the offcial medical line but I have been fine in the past...infact I excert more pressure on my eyes by snezzing then any theme park ride, and snezzing does sometimes actaully hurt my eyes!

Dave.
The only thing permanent in life is change!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 30 Jun 2005 12:03 pm

My eyes along with the rest of my body have been through all sorts of stresses!

My corneal grafts have been subjected to me cracking my skull open, theme park rides, accidents on the race track etc.....

Even the KC that pulls my graft out of shape survived an 80 mile endurance race in Germany where I was pulling a couple of G in each corner for about 30 minutes or so!

The only part of me that has not escaped trauma is the cornea. As Dave points out, sneezing puts more pressure on the eye which is why we automatically blink. The theory goas that if we did not, our eyeballs would pop out of our head each time we sneezed!

Hope this helps.

Gareth
Gareth

eileen hughes
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eileen hughes » Thu 30 Jun 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. These were my initial thoughts, but you know what Dad's are like and even worse Grandad's. They are so protective to the point of being over protective!

Suppose this is one of a list of questions that I can ask when we see the consultant again later in the year.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”