can pregnanvy affect KC?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

can pregnanvy affect KC?

Postby eman samir » Fri 18 Mar 2011 1:50 pm

hi all,it has been so long time since i last logged in here,i really miss this site,i had cross linking in both eyes 3 months ago.my eye doctor told me that pregnancy can affect KC negatively :( :( and it was the 1 st time i hear that.i already have a son but i am planning to be pregnant again.is that mean my vision will be deteriorated as a result of pregnancy??
is there any one know anything about this issue? i really can't imagine what i will do if my vision is deteriorated more than now :( :(
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: can pregnanvy affect KC?

Postby space_cadet » Fri 18 Mar 2011 2:01 pm

I have read a fair bit about KC n pregnancy as my hubby n I are looking at staring a family.

Weather or not it results in my KC deteroriating futher in our opionon is a small price to pay to bring a life into this world,. there are plenty of people born blind or partially sighted who make fantastic parents, and yes there is talk that KC is heridetary but we are in agreement that the benefits of being parents and being aware of KC means we wil bea ble to we hope spot it if our future child develops it much easier n quicker than my KC was diagnosed.

If youw ant to chat feel free to message me

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 18 Mar 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Eman - it's good to see you here again.
Your question has been asked on this forum before. And the answer then seemed to be that while some women did notice a deterioration in their KC after a pregnancy, there were lots of others who found it had no effect. So like so much with KC, it seems to be a very individual thing. And if you've had crosslinking, wouldn't that be a protection as your corneas should now be more rigid?
As for heredity, that varies a bit from country to country, but in the UK it's only around 13% of people who have anyone else in the family with it, and it's even more unusual for it to appear in more than one generation.
All the best
Anne

Helen G
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Helen G » Fri 18 Mar 2011 9:02 pm

I was diagnosed with bilateral KC in my late teens, my right eye was much worse than left. I had my first graft while pregnant with my 1st child (had deteriorated before the pregnancy). I then had 2 more children and my KC stayed unchanged in left eye and great vision from the transplant in the right. My KC then became much worse around 2 yrs ago - so had stayed the same for around 15 years. I have no reason to think the pregnancies all those years earlier contributed to my eye worsening, I think it is just bad luck. My advice would be to follow your heart, if you really want a family then go ahead, just choose a time when your eyes are stable as they can be.

Good luck :)

Legy de feral
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Legy de feral » Sat 26 Mar 2011 2:52 am

I have had advanced KC from very young. It was at its most stable during my twenties and early thirties which was also the time of my pregnancies. It began deteriorating again in my mid thities. I had another child at the age of 40 and my eyes seemed to stablise again. Then the deterioration started again and has continued until my recent grafts.

Maybe I should have just stayed permanently pregnant :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”