Intac Rejection

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ozfiz
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Intac Rejection

Postby Ozfiz » Fri 18 Mar 2011 11:45 am

Hey,

Have been on the site for a while but thought I might just pop by for a status update.

I had an intac implanted in my right eye about 3 years ago now, followed by the UV light treatment on both eyes.

For probably about the last 12 months or so I had noticed the light sensitivity getting worse (in the right eye only) and often the feeling as if I had "gravel" under my eyelid. This cause often spontaneous watering to my eye, discomfort and just general irritation. Sometimes it was almost unbearable.

I mentioned these symptoms to the consultant at the clinic i was receiving my post op care from, however was advised that the intac was still sitting in the eye nicely.

This week on Tuesday i went in for another post-op consultation and once again mentioned all the symptoms, this time my doctor actually came in to look at the eye, and said that pretty much the intac was sitting on the surface of the cornea and was the cause. My eye had pushed the intac through to the surface.

So they made the decision to pretty much remove the intac straight away. Since having it removed I'm no longer suffering the irritations, and even my light sensitivity has eased up (i was to the point where i couldn't leave the house without sunglasses ever)

For now they are letting the eye rest and heal, and in 6 months they will re-evaluate the right eye, with maybe either the option of kerarings or putting me on the corneal transplant list.

For the moment i'm just extremely happy to have a "somewhat" normal eye with no irritation.
"I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." - Freddie Mercury.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Intac Rejection

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 18 Mar 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Ozfiz and thanks for the update.
We've had people on the forum who have had an Intac removed after 6 months or so because it didn't work for them, but I hadn't heard of issues developing after several years before. The good thing is that Intacs can be removed easily. I hope the healing goes well. Do let us know how you get on.
All the best
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 18 Mar 2011 4:11 pm

I am so sorry that your intacs have not worked. Did you mean to imply that you had so had crosslinking? ( your reference to uv treatment wasn't clear )?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Ozfiz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozfiz » Fri 18 Mar 2011 8:10 pm

Yes andrew, i had the uv light treatment on both my eyes after i had the intac inserted.
"I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." - Freddie Mercury.

sendricardo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sendricardo » Tue 13 Dec 2011 11:48 pm

Wow I'm have EXACTLY the same symptoms...I've been to 2 different docs and even to the ER because my eye was SUPER irritated and the docs always say my intac is "perfectly" in place so I shouldnt worry...but I'm going through the same thing...now I don't know if this is just a phase or if I should remove it. I have wasted so much money already :/

12 months have went by and only lately have I been suffering like this.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”