Hi I'm new here

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

lloydlf
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Hi I'm new here

Postby lloydlf » Tue 15 Mar 2011 10:20 pm

Hello I'm Leanne and I was diagnosed with KC two years ago. I was prescribed rigid lenses but I hate them and just cannot get used to them so have for the past 18 months or so I have basically just managed with nothing. My head has been firmly in the sand about KC and all it entails :oops: My local optician (Specsavers) diagnosed the KC but she didn't refer me to anyone at all or really explain the condition or how bad I was affected other than to say that it was too bad for glasses. Does this sound right or shoud I have been seen at a hospital? I feel like my eyesight has deteriorated further and I'm struggling quite a lot at the moment. i can't read subtitles on the TV and computer screen needs to be up to 150 magnifcation and even then its sometimes a struggle. I also have the whole range of atopic problems excema, asthma, allergies and hayfever. I do really need to get a handle on it but with four children under six its hard to find the time to read up and educate myself. I'm going to make an appointment with the optician next week and go from there. Is there anything I should be asking specifically?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Hi I'm new here

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 16 Mar 2011 9:16 am

Leanne

You should go to your GP and explain that your optician has identified keratoconus. Your GP ought to refer you to a hospital ophthalmology clinic.

Welcome to the forum, and every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 16 Mar 2011 10:42 am

Hi Leanne,
As Andrew says, you really should get a referral to a hospital clinic. And there's a variety of different contact lenses that can be used for KC these days so hopefully a contact lens clinic in a hospital will be able to give you more options. If you send me a PM with your postal address, I can send you more information about the condition, including our basic information booklet about keratoconus.
All the best
Anne

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Paul Morgan » Wed 16 Mar 2011 12:55 pm

Hi Leanne

Oh you so remind me of me some years ago. I was lucky enough to be referred to my local hospital eye clinic though who were and are very good. At first I managed with glasses, but got to the point where I was walking past close friends in the street without seeing them and it all got a bit embarrassing.

Eventually I was given RGP's to try which I ignored for many months despite continual nagging by my wife. It took some months to get used to them (oh the first few were painful), had to try a couple of types but now, what maybe 7 years from getting them I don't know how I'd manage without.

Get that head out of the sand, see your GP and Opthamologist (or whatever they're called) and get kitted out. If you're lucky like me life will soon return to normal (albeit with eye routines becoming a part of it) and I hope you'll laugh at yourself as I do. Be brave!!

Paul

Return to “General Discussion Forum”