Rules for flying

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Rules for flying

Postby Paul Morgan » Thu 10 Mar 2011 1:48 pm

Delighted to be going away for a couple of weeks somewhere nice and hot in the summer.

Slightly concerned about the rules and regs surrounding the carriage of solutions etc on aeroplanes...hoping someone might be more clued up than I am.

My daily needs are met by:

Saline solution (which I am sure I can buy in Portugal).
Boston Simplus wetting and disinfecting solution (which I can but a travel pack of from Postoptics)
Systane

Now there are four of us going (me, my wife and 2 kids) so we can spread things about a bit, but if anyone knows the rules I would be most grateful for a heads up.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

matt28
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rules for flying

Postby matt28 » Thu 10 Mar 2011 2:58 pm

im pretty sure it has to be in a clear plastic bag and the bottles must be new and sealed , the last time we went away there was advice at the airport..im pretty sure you could google it to be 100% sure.. :D

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 10 Mar 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Paul,
You can take as many solutions as you like in luggage that's going into the hold. The restrictions are on hand luggage, where as matt28 says, you have to put any solutions in a clear plastic bag and the bottles can't contain more than 100mls each as far as I remember. I'm sure there'll be an expert along soon to give you a definitive answer!
Have a great holiday!
Anne

grewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grewski » Fri 11 Mar 2011 10:51 pm

i travel quite a bit with work long hall. its 100ml in a clear plastic bag. most solutions are slightly larger than that, but you can get travel packs from the chemist. most airports have a boots in the UK i always buy a new bottle once past security and keep one in my case as back up.

For long hall i wouldn't wear Contacts if you can get away with glasses. i normally take them out when i board and pop them in when i land. the humidity is barren on the plan and can dry your eyes out very quickly.

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Morgan » Mon 14 Mar 2011 11:40 am

This is great advice...many thanks all.

So just to clarify - I can take as much as I want in my suitcase - so a couple of bottles of Boston, a bottle of saline and a few Systane perhaps.

Then in my hand luggage a couple of bottles of Systane (clear plastic bag) to keep fresh and the general advice is take the lenses out on a plane and use glasses. And if I want to take anything liquid in my hand bags, it has to be less that 100ml and put in a clear bag.

That would suit me as I hate heights and the less I can see the better!! :shock:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”