We Need to Raise Awareness In Trinidad and Tobago

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Kezia
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

We Need to Raise Awareness In Trinidad and Tobago

Postby Kezia » Mon 21 Feb 2011 8:45 pm

Keratoconus is degeneration of the structure of the cornea. The cornea is the clear tissue covering the front of the eye. The shape of the cornea slowly changes from the normal round shape to a cone shape. According to http://www.worldofhealth.co.uk 1 in 2000 Britons are needlessly losing their eyesight each year to this degenerative eye disease. It costs the NHS over £5 million to provide care for patients. Keratoconus affects people of all ages. I am aged 29 and was diagnosed with Keratoconus at 22, currently I am legally blind in left eye and my right eye is getting progressively worse. The cost of medical care for people with this degenarative disease is very high in Trinidad and Tobago. A contact lens fitting is priced as high as $800TT and the actual contact lenses cost $6,800TT per pair. At present this is the cheapest option available to KC patients, therefore we need to appeal to the government to provide assistance for Keratoconus patients.

In Trinidad and Tobago, many people are unaware and uneducated about Keratoconus. Recently, I was employed at an optical company and most of the staff were not informed about it and many optical companies do not even know how to treat Keratoconus patients. The government is reluctant to provide Keratoconus with any priority at this time and the clinic in Sangre Grande has been inactive for over a year- and added to that we as Keratoconus patients seem to be silent. It would be in our best interest as to speak up so the powers that be can take notice and realize that many people in Trinidad and Tobago are affected by this condition.

Minor treatments are available to slow down the worsening of the disease. There is treatment called cross linking which in many cases can stop the progression of the disease, however, the wearing of contacts though it will not stop the progression of KC, helps greatly with a patient's vision. All of the options are currently available in sweet TnT but they are very costly and the average citizen is unable to afford them. Therefore, we need to work together to give Keratoconus a voice.

I am reaching out to all Trinbagonians who have this progressive degenerative eye disease or know someone who does. Together we can gather strength to have a voice, to inform our government of our issues and needs.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: We Need to Raise Awareness In Trinidad and Tobago

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 22 Feb 2011 1:25 pm

Kezia

Thank you for this. One of the optometrists who posts here has contacts in the West Indies and travels there from time to time.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Kezia
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Re: We Need to Raise Awareness In Trinidad and Tobago

Postby Kezia » Wed 23 Feb 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks Andrew!!

Kezia