Blood donation

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Vitaly
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Blood donation

Postby Vitaly » Mon 14 Feb 2011 10:15 am

Hello,
I have searched the forum but still couldn't get an answer to my question: can people with keratoconus donate blood for other people?
I tried to donate a blood couple of days ago but I was sent to my ophthalmologist for the permission from him to the blood donation. But unfortunately he refused to give me a persmission because blood donation leads to a weakening of the immunity which is not good and may become the reason for progressing of my KC.

But I also heard that the people with KC can become blood donors.

Can somebody share its experience with blood donation or provide some information on that topic.

Thank you.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Blood donation

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 14 Feb 2011 10:33 am

Vitality

Good question; the answer is, however, not simple.

The Scottish Blood Transfusion Service does not accept donations from people with KC for whole blood donations to other people, but will accept blood and mark the donation as suitable only for 'blood product' donation. Potential donors who have had grafts will be told politely that their donation cannot be accepted.

I understand that, in some jurisdictions, blood is accepted from donors with keratoconus while in others there is a blanket ban.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Vitaly

Postby Vitaly » Mon 14 Feb 2011 1:05 pm

Andrew, thank you for your reply. But can you please explain in plain English what do you mean by that "SBTS does not accept donations for whole blood donation to other people, but will accept blood and mark the donation as suitable only for 'blood product' donation".

As I undestood, I can give my blood to other but my blood will be freezed and used in, so say, emergency case, for example when there is a lack of blood, am I right?

The second question, what is the reason of not acception blood from people KC? How does SBTS argues such decision?

And the last, what about other countries, like USA or Australia (if you know of course).

Thanks

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 14 Feb 2011 1:28 pm

Vitality

I am not in a position to comment on the practice in Russia, but I do have some experience of the practice in Scotland. the Blood Transfusion Service does not pay for donations here, all are accepted free. The BTS has an obligation to the Heath Service to ensure that, so far as possible, all steps are taken to ensure the safety of the blood supply.

They do not freeze blood whole blood.

'Blood products' would include plasma and these are sometimes further treated. The last time I made a blood donation, my pack was marked in the way I described.

I have no knowledge of the way in which blood is handled in the jurisdictions you mention, and really do not have any knowledge of the way in which donations are handled in the other UK jurisdictions.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Vitaly

Postby Vitaly » Mon 14 Feb 2011 1:38 pm

I understood now.

So the blood of KC donor in Scotland may be used only as a blood product, for example for plasma, am i correct?

How do you felt after you made a donation? Did you notice worsening of KC conditions? Are you still donating blood?

Thanks

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 14 Feb 2011 1:43 pm

I am no longer donating blood. There is a rule in Scotland that excludes people who have had transplant surgery from being organ donors or blood donors.

I always felt well after making blood donations and do not think that giving blood every influenced my keratoconus in any way.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Vitaly

Postby Vitaly » Mon 14 Feb 2011 5:03 pm

Thank you.

Can you give a link or some official document if you have it that KC patients can donate blood for blood products (such as plasma) in Scotland so i will able to show this information to my doctor.

Thanks again.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Mon 14 Feb 2011 8:44 pm

A similar discussion was on the facebook Keratoconus GB group and I ahve seen postings on twitter as well,

As I said on both, through campaigning and lobbying the ban on gay men and bi men from donating to the Anthony Nolan Trust was recently lifted (from memory last year) this had been in place due to the stigma steming from the blood donation ban in place on gay and bi men.

through campaigning and lobbying Id like to see the ban on gay n bi men lifted on blood donation, I also think that as there is no blood link to our cornea's it is nuts that we are not able to donate blood or indeed any organs if we have had a cornea transplant...

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 15 Feb 2011 7:09 am

Lea

I don't think that the ban on transplant patients giving organs has as much to do with contamination of the blood per se as it has to do with the patient who died of NFCJD following a transplanted cornea.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Fordy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fordy » Tue 15 Feb 2011 9:07 pm

I have been giving blood for over twenty years ,and by pure chance on the day I read this I had made a donation.

To be honest I have never asked the question regarding KC and blood donation and have never had any adverse effects personally, but sometimes by asking the question you will get a negative responce because they probably don't know the answer and will fall on the side of caution.

I have never seen KC mentioned in any literature but will ask the question in 4 months time when next donating.

Fordy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”