Blood donation

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Vitaly
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Blood donation

Postby Vitaly » Wed 16 Feb 2011 8:25 am

Guys thanks for your replies. Fordy, may be you are right, doctors just don't know the answer and I shouldn't mention my KC in application.

Please write me a personal message when you get an info.

Thanks

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Fri 18 Feb 2011 10:35 am

in South Africa they will happily take your blood if you have KC. after a graft they exclude you for a period of 4 months. after that they will accept your blood again.
Due to the ridiculously high HIV rate in SA- all blood is tested thoroughly before use.

Carlos
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Carlos » Wed 18 May 2011 4:48 am

Hi everyone

I started to fell weak vision in the same week that i gave blood first time and some weeks later I was diagnosed with keratoconus. 30%vision on left eye.
It was 6years ago and i was 18.
I didn't associate the sensations until discover that in traditional chinese medicine, in a general way, to treat eye diseases it's give herbs to improve blood quality and quantity.

Carlos

Bob Mason
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Bob Mason » Wed 18 May 2011 9:18 am

Hi everyone

If you have had a transplant (in this case a cornea) it is odds on that you are taking some form of immuno-suppresent drug. Most of you will be taking some thing like Dexamethasone which is a topical steroid. This is the reason your blood can not be used because most patients requiring a blood transfusion are not in the best of health so the last thing they want is an immuno-suppresent drug which may hinder their bodies fight against what is wrong with them. I am lead to believe that The UK Blood and Trasplant policy is that no one who has had a transplant of any sort is accepted as a donor just in case.

I can't imagine that any of you would be pleased if you found out your blood had adversly affect the person thay gave it to - it just isn't worth the risk.

I how this helps

Bob
Today is not soon enough to do what should have been done yesterday - at least that is what my Granny used to say. Trouble is I need a 26 hr day and a nine day week just to keep up.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”