the wind causing problems

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mikkey3023
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

the wind causing problems

Postby mikkey3023 » Mon 07 Feb 2011 1:42 pm

Does anyone have the same problem as me ? wind causing severe pain due to dust particles getting stuck behind lens in this windy weather ? what with intolerance to sunlight , KC is not taken serious enough by society ive always felt .!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: the wind causing problems

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 07 Feb 2011 2:14 pm

I'm sure lots of us do! My solution is to wear wrap around sunglasses (whether the sun is shining or not) which prevent most of the dust particles getting through, though there's always the odd one that seems to be able to get round corners whatever I do. I've also learnt to ignore the funny looks people give you when you're wearing sunglasses in the middle of winter.
Anne

grewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grewski » Mon 07 Feb 2011 9:45 pm

this has been a problem for me too. i can recomend oakley wrap around sunglasses, but only as a sumer solution.
I do remember Edgar Davids the dutch footballer wore oackley racing jackets wrap arounds all the time as he had glacoma. I believe they had clear lenses.

would be good if they kept pollen out too :)

britdaz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby britdaz » Tue 08 Feb 2011 7:41 am

Hello

And me. Dust and dirt in the air is a major problem for me. A good pair of sun glasses in summer, plus i also carry my case and a small bottle of solution in wind, just in case I need to pop out my lenses.

The bottle's I bought from ebay are, "Vallejo - Empty 35ml Paint Mixing Bottles ". Instant relief!!!

Hard lesson learnt on a windy beach one day.

mikkey3023
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mikkey3023 » Tue 08 Feb 2011 3:47 pm

I agree with all the replies , especially Anne's comment , about peoples attitude when we wear sunglasses in the winter and rain , many times i feel like saying something , i wear as others have said wrap rounds all year round i find them essential aids in the outdoors , thanks for the posts everybody , i did feel i was the only one wearing sunglasses come rain or shine , i know different know . 8)

mikkey3023
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mikkey3023 » Tue 08 Feb 2011 3:48 pm

Now that is sorry .

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby chris1972as » Tue 08 Feb 2011 5:41 pm

wind is mayhem :evil: :evil: drive me :evil: Well i have a pair of rap around sunglasses too use them also for cycling so what the hell funny looks because i look super 8) well that is what i tell myself have a second pair as well that just look like small glass that interact with light. :)

xloz69x
Contributor
Contributor

Postby xloz69x » Thu 17 Feb 2011 10:11 pm

yip wind is a major pain ! like someone else said I have got soloution that keep at work and at home and handbag lol so know ive got it wherever i go, to just pop lens out and give it a swish about in soloution, feels like youve got a boulder in there even when its just a speck of dust.

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Fri 18 Feb 2011 9:40 am

i can't handle wind in my eyes-- but love sailing, which accentuates the wind in the eye problem- because you naturally are looking into the apparent wind all the time... i have a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses- wraparound in the darkest lens they offered.... and a pair of Adidas 'sports glasses' which also wrap-around, but are made with the Transitions lens- so that i still get some light protection out of them when i need it. i normally wear the oakleys in full sun, and the Adidas transitions in cloudy conditions and dusk and dawn- and at night.
it works for me.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 18 Feb 2011 11:43 am

This used to be a problem for me when I wore RGP lenses.

Now I am using soft lenses for KC, this is a thing of the past and 2009 was the first year that I went on holiday and was able to see my daughter play on the beach. I would still get the odd bit of sand in my eye when the wind got up but no worse than anyone else on the beach.

A few blinks and the grit had gone.

I have also found that since going over to soft lenses, light sensitivity has completly gone.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”