In need of some advice

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

In need of some advice

Postby Sophie Bull » Tue 21 Jun 2005 9:08 am

Hi all, this is a question about intacts again..no one seems to reply to messages about them beyond direction to one of the websites that tell you a little about them. I have checked out the websites, but really wanted to hear someone elses experience. Surely someone out there has had them...!?

I am now on a waiting list to have a
n intact inserted in my left eye, I have decided to ahve it with no general anesthetic, quicker and less recovery time.

If Anyone has had intacts I would really like to hear what you think and if anyone has decided against them then i would also like to know what helped you make that decision?

Sorry to be so demanding!
Thanks

feed back form the conference all sounds really interesting, its a shame i was not able to make it, but maybe next year, it can only be a positive experience to meet others who really understand and chat.

Soph x

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Tue 21 Jun 2005 11:26 am

Sophie

I also am in the same boat....I am looking to have either Intac/Ferrara ring in my left eye which has progressed. Knowledge on this in UK is few and far between; there was a chap on here that I emailed about Intacs who had it done ..but that doenst help you right here right now.

Take a look http://www.kcenter.org in there Intacs section....there is a whole history from various people who provide a good overview there......thats the only way I found real world experience........
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Tue 21 Jun 2005 3:09 pm

Sophie

Hi there! Its not that im avoiding your posts lol, i just have no experience in this and didn't know about it until i came here. So really i don't think i would be able to give you any advice.

Am hoping though that things work out for you, and that you come back and let us know, as that way we will learn more!! LOL!!

So just wanted to say good luck, and to put your post back at the top as i think i knocked it off posting so much, and then no-one will see it! LOL!

Take care
Love Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Katy Baxter

Intacts

Postby Katy Baxter » Tue 21 Jun 2005 7:16 pm

Hi Soph,

There was a presentation actually showing intacts being placed in someones eyes at the conference-I also think there were some pictorials of it in a leaflet-although I wouldn't quote myself on it. Perhaps if you're wondering about the process etc, you might find it a good idea to ask the committee members for some literature on the subject-or if you know where you an obtain some?

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 21 Jun 2005 11:18 pm

I hope to get the presentations from the conference uploaded soon. Watch this space!
John

Brinky
Contributor
Contributor

Re: In need of some advice

Postby Brinky » Sun 13 Jan 2008 5:19 pm

Sophie,

Do you already have some more experiences from people or from yourself in the meantime? Are you wearing Intacts or Ferrara rings? And what is the experience so far?
I had UV-Crosslinking done in my left eye but still the vision is quite bad with glasses or soft contact lens. Only scleral lens provide a better vision but are quite uncomfortable.

Regards,

Ronald

timmytim7
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: In need of some advice

Postby timmytim7 » Mon 14 Jan 2008 10:43 pm

i suppose if it was really horrific it wouldn't be possible to have intacs under local anaesthetic?

i know at private clinics they just do local anaesthetics anyway... and people evidently get up and walk out the operating room and go home afterwards!

so anyway, famous last words, but i think local anaesthetic should be ok! it seems to me like a general isn't worth the added risk and time. they can always add anaesthetic drops to the eye if you feel any pain or discomfort whilst they are doing the op if you tell them to.

anyway i've never had it done so don't listen to me!

good luck,

tim

Return to “General Discussion Forum”