Cross Linking

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Perkz
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Cross Linking

Postby Perkz » Fri 18 Feb 2011 1:59 pm

Sad to hear he is having a difficult time with it. I am now in Day 3 recovery and have just been up to London and back for a quick check-up (and by quick I mean 1 minute despite the £40 in train fares lol). Am now experiencing no light sensitivity although it's not overly bright today. I did not have a contact lens placed on my eye, so am not sure what that is supposed to achieve during the healing process (if someone more knowledgeable could explain the purpose of this.) I see that your son has a scratch on his cornea, was this already there or only appeared post-operatively? So i can't relate to that.

My surgeon did advise me however that I am unusual having such a high pain threshold (I didn't require any anaesthetic drops during the recovery nor many painkillers) I thought I was unusual enough just having this condition!

And as for the procedure itself it is a true test in patience and mental strength haha. Especially when you get an itch...

Based on my experience with my other eye ,I expect later on today and tomorrow for the "foreign object" sensation to start and the itchiness/irritation which will last 24-48 hours.

Also on another note, how many places are offering this on the NHS, as my hospital in Frimley wasn't able to offer it to me so I had to get it done privately (£1000 per eye)

Regards

Sean

Eileen1359
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Eileen1359 » Fri 18 Feb 2011 2:17 pm

Hi Sean
Thanks for your reply. Phillip has been extremely light sensitive and has been a struggle getting him to keep his eye open even a little when the blinds are open. Even worse when it gets dark and the house lights have to go on. For the first couple of days he sat in a dark room with sunglasses on and I when wanted to sit with him had to only have one 25 watt light on in the background. It has been a bad time for him he is not only not getting paid from his part time job but has had to take time off university. Uni are being very good with him but that doesn't alter the fact that he is missing so much valuable lecture time. He has been doing extremely well getting very high marks and considering he is doing programming and having to read code all the time this has not been easy. He is a persistent eye rubber no matter how many times you tell him not to so not being able to is driving him mad.

I just hope it does what it is meant to do and slow down the progression as over the last 9-12 months it has gone much quicker than was expected. At todays eye test with his bad eye that has been done he could only see the large letter with his glasses on when it was 2 feet in front of him and with the pinhole glasses on.

With regard to the cornea scratch nope he did not have this prior to the procedure so not sure what has happened, will be asking more questions on Monday though. The lens that has been put in is much bigger than the one that was put in immediately after the procedure so hopefully this will stay in place.

All of this is being done on the NHS at St Pauls eye hospital in Liverpool so the oly cost to us is the petrol and car park fees along with me having to take time off work, but this is paid holidays. We seem to have been very lucky on this as would have been a struggle to find the money.

Regards
Eileen

Teresa D
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Teresa D » Fri 18 Feb 2011 11:50 pm

Hi Perkz,

Sounds like we go to the same hospital in Frimley, Surrey! How do you find the Eye Treatment Centre there?

Teresa :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”