Corneal transplant in 2 weeks

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Amer
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Corneal transplant in 2 weeks

Postby Amer » Wed 16 Feb 2011 12:59 pm

Hiya,

Thats me bbak homethe transplant went well and just relaxing n the house now. its not too sore but one question what is the best way to get the gunk out of my eye

Thanks for the replis people

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 16 Feb 2011 5:43 pm

Glad it went well, How's the vision ? I would be interested to hear how it goes over the next few weeks. I am having mine in May. Meeting the surgeon on Monday and then have a pre op in April Gulp

Ian

Teresa D
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Teresa D » Thu 17 Feb 2011 1:37 am

I wish that I had found this forum prior to having my corneal graft last year, as having read some of the very good advice on here, I would've been a little more prepared and had more of an idea of what to expect once I got home! Like some of the other posters, I've had setbacks since the graft, but you do have to try to remain positive and remember that everybody is different. Easier said than done, I know, but echoing what Michelle and Melissa have said - don't be afraid to ask questions and don't hesitate to go back to the hospital if something doesn't feel quite right. :roll:

Amer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Amer » Thu 17 Feb 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Ian,

visions really blurry but hoping a lot of that will clear up in the next few weeks, not painful aymore sometimes have a slight throbbing pain but nothing that paraetamol doesn't resolve. even though everything is blurry the ghosting is not as prominent as it was, maybe im being overly ambitious but i see a difference already. I do have squint on the eye that was operated on, but i am putting that down do the eye not being used at the moment as i tend to keep it closed most of the time and the fact that when i do use i it cant focus on anything so am quite sure that will go away once the vision is better

carthorse69

Postby carthorse69 » Thu 17 Feb 2011 9:32 pm

Dear All
Having had a PKP some 21 years ago I feel I can pontificate with some authority about KC and a graft.
In a nut shell it couldn't be better although I do wish at times that I had the same vision in my non grafted eye as I do in my grafted one.
Looking at the new "technology " that is available 21 yrs on just goes to show how much more manageable this condition is.
I still wear rigid contacts and have some Mr Magoo glasses for wearing around the house or when not needing the contacts (walking dogs, flying or even writing this). still on some drops to lower the intraocular hypertension but thats a small price to pay.
All in all I have lived life and got on with the daily chores without any trouble although I did have to give up playing football, waterskiing and other sports that could have upset the graft but by the time of the graft I was getting too old for some of them anyway.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 18 Feb 2011 8:08 am

Carthorse69

Welcome to the forum. It is good to read such a positive post.
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Fri 18 Feb 2011 9:33 am

Hi Amer,
I am glad it went well.
RE: cleaning the gunk- i was given sterile saline and cotton wool pads to wipe my eye and told not to get it wet in the shower... it was February in Durban, which is super hot and humid, so i managed by taping a piece of thin plastic over the eye guard, over a cotton wool pad. then i could shower as often as i needed to . i think you should wipe away the gunk on the outside and always use a new pad and sterile solution.
don't worry too much about the vision yet- there is a long path of slow healing ahead still...

Carthorse69--- WELCOME

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Mon 21 Feb 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Amer

How has the first week gone ? are things settling down a bit

Did they keep you in overnight ? Just asking as I met my consultant today. He says I can go home the same day (eeeek) He also mentioned it's going to be a big graft at over 8mm joy

carthorse69

Postby carthorse69 » Mon 21 Feb 2011 5:22 pm

Blow me down, home in a day! OK so I had my graft hundreds of years ago and spent 4 days bored to tears in St Georges but to have the job done on day surgery just shows how far things have moved on. I seem to remember that when grafts were first pioneered the patient spent anything upto a month in bed swathed in bandages,
As for any post op issues, all I can recall is that the eye felt a bit "lumpy" due to the stiches but you should get used to that.
It is when the stiches come out that you will find out how good the surgeons touch is, that is does he wear boxing gloves to do his job or have the touch of a very light fingered touchy thing? This can be uncomfortable but not painful.
During the post op learn to put your feet up, get some dark glasses (designer allways look good) learn what your operating envelope is and get on with life. My surgeon was surprised to be asked 8 weeks after the op if I could start running agian.
As a guide to what my vision is nowadays its 6/5 in the graft eye with a lens and a pathetic 6/? something in the other.
Nervous you maybe but there are thousands of others who have had this op, delicate it maybe but it gets more and more "routine" and the outcomes improve year on year.

Amer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Amer » Tue 22 Feb 2011 12:06 pm

Hi,

GrandPaClanger i was kept in ovenight and then released, i think they would have normaly released me the same day too but as i opted to go ahead with the procedure in Ayr hosptal which is about a 50 min drive they figured it wold be better for me stay as the surgeon wanted to see me the day after surgery for a quick check up. I've been back since for my second check up and everything looks good and the stitches were fine. My next appointment is on the 1st of March so wil give you all an update. I have just been in the house putting my feet up and resting a lot, feel really guilty but i figure the more i rest now the better it is in the long run. Its not been painful, some thwinges but seems ok once the swelling subsides. but as i 've been told over and over again it is a long recovery so i've always had that in mind.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”