Should I tell my GP

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

wivenhoe
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Should I tell my GP

Postby wivenhoe » Tue 14 Dec 2010 5:00 pm

Yeaterday i went for a consultation with Optimax with a view to have laser eye surgery. They did a topographic image of my eye and told me that I have Keratoconus - I am 45 years old. I asked what I should do and they said to go back to see them in 12 months.

Should I let my GP know?
Should I being doing anything?
Do I need to change my glasses in light of this new information?
Do I need to tell my work?

any advice greatly recieved.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Should I tell my GP

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 14 Dec 2010 9:05 pm

wivenhoe

Welcome to the forum.

Let me begin with good news; if you are 45 and it took a laser topography to identify your keratoconus, then your condition will, in all probability, not become a problem for you, although you maybe ought to avoid laser surgery.

Yes, it would probably make sense to go to see your GP. (s)He may refer you to your local ophthalmology clinic.

If your glasses are still giving you good correction, don't change them. If the time comes when glasses are not giving good correction, then your ophthalmology clinic may suggest that you start wearing contact lenses.

All that is away off in the future. For now, the best advice is don't panic.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Graeme Stevenson
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Re: Should I tell my GP

Postby Graeme Stevenson » Thu 16 Dec 2010 1:50 pm

IMO the best people to ask any questions are Optimax who having seen you most recently have the most up to date information on your eyes. It may be you have a subclinical form lof KC which oftens shows uop during topography and generally requires monitoring but no treatment.
If your vision is good with your current spectacles then there should be no need to change them. There should be no need to speak to your GP nor should there be a need to see an ophthalmologist at this stage.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”