Treatment just done...

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Treatment just done...

Postby Lisa Nixon » Tue 30 Nov 2010 11:53 pm

Mike had it done on his better eye. His "bad" eye had a transplant last September. Still has stitches in, vison gradually improving. His crosslinked eye is improving day by day, less blurred. He's been signed off work for 10 days and we've just got our appointment through for Friday. Flights are booked so we just need the weather to behave! Mke didn't watch CXL on You Tube but did try to watch a You Tube transplant - ended up feeling dizzy and had to lie down! He's 30 but still a muppet at times!!
Only Robinson Crusoe got everything done by Friday!!

gr1ffiths
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby gr1ffiths » Thu 02 Dec 2010 3:27 pm

Hi all

New to the forum but makes excellent reading.

Have been diagnosed with Keratoconus for about 6 years. And am currently using Hybrid lenses (hard/soft) but will soon have to go into hard ones. :(

Last time I saw my optometrist he mentioned that an eye surgeon had started doing C3R cross linking followed by laser eye surgery.

He said that he would speak to the surgeon and try and find out more information for me.

He also said that once you have C3R cross linking your corneas are appropriately the same age as an 800 year old persons. (if that makes sense).

has anyone ever heard of that and also about the laser surgery after C3R??

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 02 Dec 2010 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've heard an expert comparing a CXL cornea to a 70yr old's but 800!!!
There seems to be quite a variety of procedures being tested alongside CXL now. I'm not sure which one this is. Maybe someone else here will know more. And do let us know once you have more information.
Anne

Ladyburd
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Ladyburd » Fri 03 Dec 2010 6:03 pm

HI ALL

I'M LOOKING INTO CROSS LINKING BUT NEED TO PAY AS I LIVE IN GLASGOW

I THINK THE LASER IS THE T-CAT, WHERE THEY SMOOTH THE CRONEA OF ANY ROUGH BITS, SO MAY NOT BE NEEDED IN ALL CASES

THEY ARE ALSO SEEING GOOD RESULTS WITH COMBINED INTACS & CROSS LINKING. I HEAR THAT SOME PLACES DO THEM 3 MONTHS APART TO GET THE BEST RESULTS

I'VE ALSO HEARD THE PHRASE THAT YOUR EYES WILL BE LIKE THAT OF A 70 YRS OLD. THIS MAKES SENSE WHEN YOU SEE WHAT THEY ACTUALLY DO TO THE CORNEA

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Fri 03 Dec 2010 9:50 pm

Unfortunately we never got to our appointment as Flybe cancelled the flight at the last minute! Have an appointment for next Friday instead so Mike still has a bandage lens in and is off work for another week.
Only Robinson Crusoe got everything done by Friday!!

stevematic
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby stevematic » Sat 04 Dec 2010 12:09 pm

gr1ffiths wrote:Hi all

New to the forum but makes excellent reading.

Have been diagnosed with Keratoconus for about 6 years. And am currently using Hybrid lenses (hard/soft) but will soon have to go into hard ones. :(

Last time I saw my optometrist he mentioned that an eye surgeon had started doing C3R cross linking followed by laser eye surgery.

He said that he would speak to the surgeon and try and find out more information for me.

He also said that once you have C3R cross linking your corneas are appropriately the same age as an 800 year old persons. (if that makes sense).

has anyone ever heard of that and also about the laser surgery after C3R??

I believe the eye surgeon he was talking about is Dr. John Kanellopoulos. He performs the topo-guided PRK immediately followed by CXL. Studies have shown this has been getting great results!

Eileen1359
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Eileen1359 » Sat 04 Dec 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Lisa
Sorry that your flight got cancelled but did think that it might happen with this horrible weather although I have to say I also hate the rain that we have today.

Hope Mike is managing OK and that when you do get to the appointment that everything is OK.

Cancelled Phillip's appointment for 30 December as there is no way he would have been able to do his exams and after all it isn't majorly life threatening that he gets it done now. Have to wait for Mr Kaye to come back from his holidays to look at Phillip's notes again so that he can re-arrange date but likely to be end of February. Think Phillip is secretly pleased to be putting it off though.
Take care
Eileen

Eileen1359
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Eileen1359 » Wed 08 Dec 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Lisa
Hope the flight will be Ok this week as I work near Liverpool airport and the roads are awful around there and I believe that loads of flights have been cancelled.

Just had Phillip's re-arranged appointment - now 3 February. Hopefully won't miss too much at uni.
Take care
eileen

Return to “General Discussion Forum”