The day is here

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

The day is here

Postby Lizb » Thu 18 Nov 2010 8:34 am

Well the day has arrived for me to intacs in the left eye. Doc is doing it under general anesetic (sp?), so i am on a no food or drink until the op this afternoon, am admitted at 12:30, hoping wont be kept waiting too long this afternoon as am thirsty now.

Hopefully everything will go well, though this is the first time the doc wil be putting intacs into an eye that has already had crosslinking (he normally does it intacs then cxl).
I will keep you updated on how it goes and the recovery.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: The day is here

Postby melissa » Thu 18 Nov 2010 8:50 am

Good Luck Liz.. I hope it goes well and the result is what you are looking for....

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 18 Nov 2010 12:35 pm

Yeah good luck :D

Ian

Eileen1359
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Eileen1359 » Thu 18 Nov 2010 1:35 pm

Hi Liz
Good luck am sure you are in safe hands and hopefully will get the result that you need. My son is now on waiting list to have the cross linking done.

Regards
Eileen

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Thu 18 Nov 2010 4:10 pm

good luck hun x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 18 Nov 2010 5:47 pm

Every good wish, Liz
Andrew MacLean

electricheadx
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby electricheadx » Fri 19 Nov 2010 12:39 pm

Best of luck. Hope it all goes well.

Ladyburd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ladyburd » Mon 22 Nov 2010 4:51 pm

Hey Liz

Hope it went well for you

If you need to chat to someone who has also recently had INTACS just give me a shout

But in the meantime, get lots of tissues & sunglasses handy!

All the best

Cx

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Wed 24 Nov 2010 12:53 pm

Well nearly one week on from intacs in the left eye, i have got my first day where i can have my eye open for more than a few minutes at a time. Eye feels very dry, and is still slightly swollen however most of the redness has gone. I am still on (4 times per day) antibiotic drops until end of the week, steriod drops for an additional 3 weeks after that and a hard plastic eye shield for nightwear - I have been thankful for that as the last couple of nights i have woken up trying to rub that eye due to itchiness. Docs only said to wear the shield for one week but if i have another couple of nights waking up trying to rub the eye i will be wearing it longer than this week.

Previously i have managed with glasses for the right eye, with no correction for the left. I have felt very "drunk" and "nauseous" upto today on the occasions i have managed to have the left eye open with the right. Today i am getting used to it more. It is very strange travelling in the car as my brain doesnt seem to be able to cope with the images it is getting, even though for the last 5 years or so i have managed with the right eye only including driving. Not allowed to drive/swim until doc clears me. No makeup for another week or two, same for running water over my face (showering/washing hair etc) - so hubby has been enlisted again to wash my hair.

This has been a lot more painful than i imagined it would be, and i was taking paracetomol for 3-4 days after the op. I am not wearing a bandage contact lens as it wouldnt stay in on thursday night/friday morning and the doc said as long as i followed their advice there was no increased risk of infection if I didnt wear a bandage CL. I am using Celluvisc eye dry to combat the dryness (mainly because i have run out of my clinitas soothe, and not got a new supply yet) - it is working well enough and relieving the dryness but not as long lasting as the clinitas soothe - really need to get another supply in :roll:

Well that is this weeks update, I will let you know what the doc says when i go back on 6 dec for my follow up appointment. I was expecting to need vision correction after the intac procedure, and that is still likely to be the case however i am hoping glasses will be sufficient as i have struggled with various CL in the past. I have a number of pairs of spectacles so i can just get the lens updated in turn if this is the case.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 24 Nov 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks for the update Lizb. I'm sorry it's proved more of an ordeal than you were expecting - it's strange how we all vary in the amount of pain or discomfort we experience when having eye procedures done. And I'm sure lots of us can relate to your experience of the strangeness of suddenly getting vision back in an eye we haven't used for ages. But the brain is a wonderful thing, and I'm sure you'll find it gradually adapts. All the best for the follow up appointment and for good vision with glasses in due course.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”