KC and E-Readers?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eyepod
Contributor
Contributor

Re: KC and E-Readers?

Postby eyepod » Sun 21 Nov 2010 5:42 pm

I bought a Kindle about a month ago mainly to see if it would be easier to read with my specs on than a printed book and I have to say that I do find it helpful! I think the fact that it is very light and comfortable to hold helps also - especially when compared with holding a hardback! Text size can be altered very easily and it also has a function where it can read text aloud (although I find the voice is a little too synethised for my liking)! I haven't tried downloading from websites other than Amazon so I don't know how easy changing file formats etc would be. Amazon do have a huge selection of e-books available and I expect this will grow also as the Kindle gains a strong share of the e-book reader market. Like many aspects of KC, I guess everybody will have different experiences of e-book readers but so far, I do like the Kindle!

GrandPaClanger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Tue 08 Mar 2011 9:46 pm

Got a kindle today and I am very impressed. The display is excellent very clear and you can adjust the font sizes if required. It's a lot easier on the eyes than a monitor or laptop. Its light enough to hold for long periods of time. Its not back lit so you need a light on but it's easier to read than a normal book as you don't need to keep adjusting position to get rid of shadows. Well worth considering

Ian

Helen G
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Helen G » Tue 08 Mar 2011 11:57 pm

I had a kindle for xmas, its wonderful, very easy and cheap to get new books. After struggling to read anything for almost 2 years I can now read books, and have access to almost any book I want. I have it set to a fairly large font so do have to click to turn the page very frequently, only downside with that is i worry that it will wear out faster. Also has a voiceover function,which is useful for when eyes are really bad, but the speech is computerised and not as enjoyable to listen to as audio books.

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 09 Mar 2011 7:17 am

Need to see if I can stop it showing random authors when it is in sleep mode. Emily Dickinson is a scary women to wake up to in the morning :D

ps hows the graft going Helen ?

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Wed 09 Mar 2011 8:36 am

I have just upgraded my phone contract and have a Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 - I have downloaded the Kindle App and a couple of free books so far I am well impressed.

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Thu 10 Mar 2011 12:20 pm

hi all,
i downloaded the Kindle App for my iphone and LOVE it... because the phone is small and i keep the font quite large i have to switch pages often, but i have quickly gotten used to it and love that i can hold my 'book' with one hand and change pages with a light touch on the side of the screen... i love having my book with me everywhere i go.... and am also keen to get a kindle- but they are double the price down at the bottom of africa... so i might wait for a trip to the UK.

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 10 Mar 2011 1:08 pm

Hi Melissa

I have the Kindle app for the Iphone as well. Really clever as you get the same books on both devices. It keeps them both in sync so if you read on one it will update the other so you dont have to advance through all the pages you have read already. :D

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Sun 13 Mar 2011 12:31 pm

Hi All,

Although the case with the inbuilt light is expensive (£50) I'd just like to say its really good. I succumbed after a long plane flight when everyone around me with I-pads were reading their books and I couldn't even with the "reading light" above the seat. Also, my screen got damaged in a car accident and I had to admit I needed a case anyway!

So I got it and was immediately impressed with how the whole thing puts together - and solves the mystery of the holes on the side of the Kindle. The catches for the case go in at these points and the Kindle itself supplies the current for the light which slides out of the top right corner. Not only does it help the reading but it is a useful source of light when you drop your contact lenses!!

Also, I would just like to say Amazon was fantastic after I damaged my first one. I had my new one the next day after ringing up to explain the damage and it was all set up with my account.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”