second graft with 30 days

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

second graft with 30 days

Postby Sheila_e » Sat 16 Oct 2010 5:54 am

Having had my first corneal garft 23 years ago I had a replacement garft on the 07/09, there have been some problems and I was treated for the starts of a rejection, however Iwas told this week that it was not a rejection but that they maybe damage to the doner material and that I am likleyt to need another transplant, which would need to be done within th enext 30 days. I am currnetly on hourly dexamethasone and various other drops and drugs to help prevent this but with no improvement I am worried about have a second one so close after the first one and wondered if anyone has had this experiance and if they have any advice I am back at the hospital on Tuesday
Many thanks
Sheila

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: second graft with 30 days

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 16 Oct 2010 9:06 am

So sorry to hear about this further setback. I don't have any experience of this - were you told any more about why there might have been damage to the donor material? I hope there might be better news for you on Tuesday. All the very best, whatever the decision is.
Anne

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Sat 16 Oct 2010 1:54 pm

Thank you for your reply Anne -apparently there is possibliy damage to the donor material on the endetherial lining and not enough cells to reduce the fluid in the corneal hence the very limited vision. They did try and do a count but the corneal was to thick it wouldn't take a reading, But to be honset I was in a bit of shock when they started talking about all this and a futher op. So I throught I see if anyone had ideas of what I should be asking on Tuesday

Sheila

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Mon 18 Oct 2010 9:38 am

good luck sheila... i am sure it is not what you were hoping for.. i hope it goes well!

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Tue 19 Oct 2010 6:52 pm

as you can see on my signature I had 3 op's in a very short time period,

I am still on hourly dexamethazone and have been now since June time, here for you x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Wed 20 Oct 2010 4:46 am

Thank you all for your replys and support- Followng hospital yesterday I will be having a re graft in 2-4 weeks, they said I now have a"bully" on the corneal which he said was a small pocket of fluid which isn't being drained as it should. Just have to maintain the condistion of this graft until the graft so drops and drugs will remain the same.
Space-cadet I hope yours gets sorted soon .- I can't believe how lucky I was with my first graft 23 years ago no real isuses and fairly good sight.

I have found using this sight very helpful and certianly helps reduce the stress of the unknown so am pleased I found it and thnak you all

Sheila

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Sat 23 Oct 2010 5:20 am

The hospital have phoned to ask if I will go in on Monday to have an aquaeous tap- so they can see if I have an infection if I do it might mean that I won't need the nexrt garft. though I have to say in all the years of having KC I have managed not to have anyone come near my eye with a needle while I have been awake! So am feeling quite sick about this procedure.

Sheila

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 23 Oct 2010 8:35 am

All the best for Monday, Sheila. And it would be worth the aggro if it means you don't need the second graft after all.
Anne

Legy de feral
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Legy de feral » Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Sheila, I had two injections into my eye (yes while conscious) a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, I found the thought much worse than the actual injections. And the doc warned me one would be 'bitey' for a short initial period.

If you can go through having grafts and stitches removed etc you will be fine.

Good luck on Monday.

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheila_e » Tue 26 Oct 2010 4:55 am

Had the aqueaous tap yesterday-I held onto your advice Legy de Feral that the throught of it was worse than the actual proecess, it went ok and I am now awaiting the outcome, the hospital will phone me in 5/7 days to let me know, but was told that I will neeed the second graft anyway! so am not sure whats going on. Sheila

Return to “General Discussion Forum”