Update - Genetics study

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

shoayb
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby shoayb » Wed 06 Jul 2005 10:31 am

Fantastic... see it;s good to be Nice!!!
lmao!
i don;t suppose you know when they will be publishing the findings?! and if so where we could have a look!?

Should be interesting!

regards
"Snowflakes are one of Nature's most fragile things, but just look at what they can do when they stick together!"
"Tell me and i'll forget, show me, and i may not remember, involve me, and i'll understand!"

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Wed 06 Jul 2005 10:57 pm

Hey i'm always nice lol! I wouldn't have been given a name like sweet otherwise would i?!! hehehe!

I think the study is supposed to be closing at the end of this year, and hopefully something written up maybe next year, but i wouldn't hold your breath yet! There is another study going on as well (not genetically related) and i think it's kinda whichever one gets in first lol!

So who knows!

Am just glad to have done it and gotten it out of the way, as everything related to eyesight is driving me mad right now! I think i need a BIG break from all KC things as this is all i have been concentrating on for almost three months. I think there is a lot more to life than my problems with seeing and how many optometrists and drs i can find to see me! I think i need my little bit of sanity back hehe

Love Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

dnhrudi
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Re: Update - Genetics study

Postby dnhrudi » Mon 31 Jan 2011 4:58 pm

Hi there,
Really interested in the talk regarding warm climates, surfing the net regarding this I came across this discussion.
I left the UK 11 years ago having been diagnosed 4 years previously, and have lived in Cambodia since.
Well while I was still in the UK the irritation and eye pain was pretty intolerable but when I moved to South East Asia it stopped within weeks, and have had none of it until a few weeks ago, during the longest winter cool spell (relative of course) in all the time I've lived in Cam.
Now maybe I've just been lucky to have 11 years without that distress, but cannot help thinking there is a link.
By the way have a first cousin with KC re the familial links
Cheers,
David

Teresa D
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Teresa D » Sat 19 Feb 2011 1:03 am

I also have an identical twin sister, although her KC is not as advanced as mine. Her son, my nephew, is also being monitored, just in case the KC could be hereditary, although there is no sign of him having it at the moment. We were both diagnosed with KC in our early 30's which, I believe, is quite old for KC, although of course, it could've been present for a while before diagnosis.

Teresa

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Mon 21 Feb 2011 10:09 am

Hi David,
Perhaps the relief from the eye-pain and irritation is the difference in humidity. i live in Durban SA, which is sub-tropical and pretty humid all year round (between 80% and 90%)... i struggle only when i am in an air-conditioned space (especially airplanes) or if i leave the coast. i really struggle in Johannesburg - the pain sets in within half an hour... so i keep my visits short and use lots of drops.
i say all KC sufferers should consider moving to the tropics!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”