Alcohol delamination

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GrandPaClanger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Alcohol delamination

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 06 Oct 2010 11:59 am

Went to the hospital today ( see post in let off steam). Although my appointment was cancelled the consultant was there but had 25 people to see and he was on his own !.

As I was with the contact lens people first they went and had a word with him as I am in a lot of pain at night even with piggback lenses. He wants me back on the 20th of this month (OK I can live with that). He wants to talk to me about performing "Alcohol delamination of the corneal epithelium".

OK Google time http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1955680/.

Anyone had this done ?. Not been find to any answers about how long you are off work for or how long it is before you can start to wear a lens again ( I guess the two are related). The op its self sounds simple enough but there is not much detail on the recovery period

Ian

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Re: Alcohol delamination

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 06 Oct 2010 4:21 pm

I'm glad your visit was productive after all. Sounds a fascinating procedure - I'm sure you'll tell us more after 20th. It sounds from the article as though it would be a minimum of 2 weeks before you could wear a lens again while the cornea heals, and possibly longer. But that's something to ask about at the next appt.
I do remember some years ago one of our members having recurrent corneal erosion and finding that scleral lenses were the answer for her as they don't actually touch the cornea. But I don't know if her symptoms were as severe as yours.
Good luck!
Anne

GrandPaClanger

Big Problem

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sat 16 Oct 2010 5:41 pm

Well all hell broke loose on Thursday night. Eye felt a bit sore (nothing new) so i decided to take the two piggybacked lenses out about 7pm. Within a few minutes I knew I was in big trouble and that a trip to A&E was in order. The pain just built and built. By the time we got there I was hyper ventilating it was that bad. Still had to go through the process of being screened by a nurse first. He realised I was a priority so promised I would be seen ahead of the sore fingers etc. Whilst waiting (over an hour) the pain got worse and at one point I was on my knees screaming . I could never have imagined such pain existed. When I did get through the doctor quickly put some anesthetic drops in and the pain stopped in seconds. He had a look with the slit lamp and announced that I had lost over half of my epithelium. He put in some antibiotic cream and a patch on and made an appointment for eye casualty at 8.30 in the morning. By the time we got home I realised having my eye taped shut was not a good idea so ripped the patch off.

Managed to get to 2.30 in the morning but by then the pain had returned (I found out later the drops only work for half an hour). So back we go to A&E. I did not get seen till 5 ish and once more some magic drops were put in. This time the doctor did not use the slit lamp he could see the damaged epithelium without. Went home for an hour before returning to eye casualty.

They had none of my history to hand, insisted I do all the standard eye test (I had both eyes unlensed and the right eye was swollen shut) Got to see a doctor 10ish more magic drops that they can't dispense grrr. He called for a second opinion the word hydrops was muttered, incorrectly thankfully . Another doctor turns up and despite me telling him exactly what my condition was, the treatment I am going to talk about next week and using all the correct medical terms he smiles and says, wait for it ....... "you have scratched your eye it will get better" I really was to ill to react which is probably a good thing but a mental note was made for Wednesdays appointment. Told to return 8.30 on Saturday . Went home and to bed popped a stack of pain killers and there I stayed.

By this morning the eye was open but extremely sore. Back to eye casualty to see a doctor ( and to see a nurse first to do the standard eye tests again!) Well when I did see the doctor at 10 ish he was brilliant and confirmed that well over half of my epithelium was now showing signs of repair. To be honest the main point of the exercise today was to make sure I have the exact picture ready for Wednesday as I have no faith these events will make it into my history by then. Why the heck are the NHS still writing in paper files. All this would have been so much easier and quicker if they had my history to hand. Scrap Trident submarines and buy a decent IT system I will take my chances with the Russians thank you very much.

ian

ps
One positive thing i did see this morning. A graft patient turned up .Despite being third or fourth in the queue he was first in ahead of me that I can live with

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 17 Oct 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Ian,
What a story! I'm cringing just reading about it. I do hope the healing process has continued since you last posted and you'll now survive till Weds without any more trips to A&E. Sounds like this treatment has become top priority. All the very best for Weds (and the days in between). And catch up on some sleep if you can!
Anne

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sun 17 Oct 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks Anne

It was indeed and one I am in no rush to repeat. The eye is fine today no pain and only very slightly sore not even blood shoot, amazing after all that . Not risking any lenses thought till i have seen the consultant on Wednesday.

Ian

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Mon 18 Oct 2010 9:24 am

shame that does sound like an ordeal... i am glad it is feeling better- was it an ulcer? i have experienced how quickly they can attack and how painful they are... my doctor knows now that i know the difference between an ulcer and a scratch... if i say it is an ulcer i go to the front of the queue... the doctors here treat them with severe respect... i think they are concerned that the antibiotics given sometimes don't work....
i am normally asked to give the eye 10 days to heal after an ulcer before popping lenses back in...
good luck for wednesday.... i am interested to find out how that goes... i have never heard of that before... (and i also have regular abrasions)

Legy de feral
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Legy de feral » Tue 19 Oct 2010 12:20 pm

Ow Ow Ow!!!!!! You poor thing! I have been to A&E by ambulance a couple of times in extreme pain so I could really identify. Isn't it amazing how much one little old eye can hurt!

Good luck tomorrow.

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 20 Oct 2010 7:29 pm

Well that was a blast NOT. Turns out that Alcohol delamination is not an option as my cornea is to thin and there is a chance it could “melt” (sudden thinning). So I have had further topography scans done and the cell thickness measured. I have been given some cream to apply twice a day (Sodium Chloride, I need to Google that one to see what thats all about.) . Back in a month to be rescanned to see if there is any change. If not then it’s a full thickness graft jobbie. Which if I am honest I was half expecting anyway and it was actually a relief to hear the words used at last . The rest we will deal with nearer the time . Going to try wearing the RGP at the weekend to see what happens. Been advised not to Piggy back it.
Onwards and Upwards
Ian

Legy de feral
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Legy de feral » Wed 20 Oct 2010 9:42 pm

I can imagine the thought of a graft is a relief after recent events. Hope that cream helps in the meantime GandPa Clanger

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 21 Oct 2010 10:10 am

Good to hear things are better - but do be careful with that lens at the weekend! Not sure I'd be brave enough to try one so soon. And a graft sounds less scary than some of what you've been through.
Good luck
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”