Removing Piggyback lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GrandPaClanger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Removing Piggyback lenses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 22 Sep 2010 9:03 pm

Hi all

Three weeks in and I have hit an issue. On three occasions when blinking out the Rgp the soft lens has gone off centre. Now this is not good if you then try to pinch out the soft lens and it ain't where you thought it was :shock: much o pain o to say the least. I cannot feel the soft lens or see it (even the wife struggles to see where it's gone). By the time i have finished it out my eye is in a right state.

Tomorrow I am going to put some drops in before removing the rgp. Hopefully that will break the seal on the two lenses.

Anyone do the same or have any other tips

Ian

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Removing Piggyback lenses

Postby melissa » Thu 23 Sep 2010 6:35 am

shame ian, i know what you mean....
i normally just wet my fingers ALOT with soaking solution and feel around until i find it. the worst is when it folds over itself and hides under your eyelid....
i think the drops will help.... let us know

linda
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby linda » Thu 23 Sep 2010 8:48 am

Just a suggestion - although Im sure youve tried everything and believe me, its trial and error - but what seems to work for me is placing a dry finger on the lens very gently then rather than pinching the soft lens - try sliding it to the inner corner of your eye - it should then fold and you can pinch it out - good luck! Linda
Linda J

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 23 Sep 2010 11:54 am

Thanks both . The main issue is not being able to see the lens as the sight in the eye is poor at 0.5\20. twice I have touched the bear cornea thinking it was there only to get a surprise  when it wasn't (that's putting it mildly)

Out of interest is PB a long term solution ? . I have a appointment with a consultant in a couple of weeks. To discuss further options as he put it back in May if I can't get comfort from lenses. Just wondering if the big G will be brought up in light of me poking myself in the eye once or twice a week which ain't doing an already weak cornea any good. My thoughts are if it is getting to that stage maybe it's time to bite the bullet. The last thing I want is to start losing vision in the left eye which is good at the moment and then being in a position of waiting a couple of years for a graft and then another 18 months recovery with poor sight in both eyes. Having got that off my chest I don't suppose I'll get much say in the matter anyway as the best option is to hold off as long as possible. I just wonder what parameters they work to when deciding to operate.

Joy

Ian

BurnTheAction
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby BurnTheAction » Thu 23 Sep 2010 12:54 pm

i remove my piggybacks by gently pulling my eyelid into a slit shape and blinking, generally works everytime with both with no hassle for both rgp and soft lens

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 23 Sep 2010 8:36 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh and again. So much for the drops theory . Off to an opticians tomorrow to get one of those sink plunger thingies to get the rgp out (unless I bump into a Dalek in the high street so I can nick it's plunger :) )

Frustrating thing is the comfort is fine during the day and getting 14 hours wear time just need to sort this last stage out.

Ian

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sat 25 Sep 2010 2:35 pm

More chance of finding a Dalek as the opticians are not allowed to sell the sucker thingies any more "hygiene reasons". Fortunately there is no such concerns on Ebay

Ladyburd
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Ladyburd » Fri 03 Dec 2010 12:54 pm

Hi

The sucker won't work on the soft lens, only the hard one

E bay is great place to get a sucker & I have no idea why most of the UK don't use them as standard. I'd be lost without mine & its fab for is a lens gets stuck or displaced

on the removal of the soft one, I was told never to pinch if you have KC & my own fiddly method is actually best:

Basically I use an eye drop to moisten them gently move the lens with my finger (the finger print area) to the outside of my eye towards my ear

This takes it off the cornea so no pain. I then look to my nose & teh lens will crinkle & come off easy

I hope this helps you

I have also struggled in the past & I have now been told by my NHS lens fitter not to piggy back as I won't get enough oxygen & it can lead to other problems, but I can't ear a RGP on its own! ggrrr

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Fri 03 Dec 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Ladyburd.

I did get a sucker in the end of Ebay. I was not told not to pinch it out, I pulled it down a bit so made sure I was pinching on the white of the eye. However in the middle of October I managed to take off over half the epithelium one night when taking the lens out (ended up in casualty most of the night :( . I was also having issues with the fit because my KC is so advanced so we had to give up on the idea.

I went to a private consultant on Tuesday and he quicky said i needed a graft so thats where we are at the mo. Just waiting for a date.

When the PB worked it was great just didn't last long for me

Ian

Ladyburd
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Ladyburd » Fri 03 Dec 2010 1:13 pm

Hi again

Ow thats not nice, hope you are OK. Bear in mind even after a graft you may need a lens too

So, just in case, I forgot to say something really simple!

If you take out your RGP (by whatever method you like) wait a few seconds & blink hard several times & your soft lens should always re-centre

All the best & I hope your not snowed in!

cx

Return to “General Discussion Forum”