Sleeping Posture

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

bing
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Sleeping Posture

Postby bing » Fri 13 Aug 2010 3:16 pm

As it has been told that you should avoid rubbing your eyes with KC
so what about the sleeping posture ? if you sleep with your head/eyes down towards the pillow than wont it produce the same kind of effect as with rubbing, and the weight of your head is also there on the eyes and pushing them inside ... am I getting paranoid or should we try to sleep in starfish/soldier posture ?

pam39
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sleeping Posture

Postby pam39 » Fri 13 Aug 2010 11:50 pm

Good question. I sometimes wake up with sore eyes (or sore eyes wake me up) when I sleep face down into the pillow. And those eye shield things that they put on your eye/s when in hospital make it uncomfortable to fall asleep as the dig into the side of your nose when you sleep with the side of your head on the pillow (ouch). I try to fall asleep on my back, never suceed in doing this though, always wake up with eyes into the pillow and sore. :?

Pam

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 14 Aug 2010 7:00 pm

To avoid pressure on my eyes on the days after surgery I wore a plastic eyeshield. This meant that I was not able to start involuntary rubbing during my sleep, and if I did turn my head to my pillow, my eye was protected.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

bing
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bing » Sun 15 Aug 2010 12:11 am

Andrew MacLean wrote:To avoid pressure on my eyes on the days after surgery I wore a plastic eyeshield. This meant that I was not able to start involuntary rubbing during my sleep, and if I did turn my head to my pillow, my eye was protected.

Andrew

don't you think that we should be regularly taking this kind of care to avoid rubbing ?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 15 Aug 2010 7:06 am

Under normal circumstances I don't run into the sorts of difficulty against which I was protecting my eyes. That said, there is no reason why people should not routinely protect their eyes during sleep.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 17 Aug 2010 7:46 am

HI All

This is a very important point and I have been trying to find good night eye protection to recommend to my patients. By "good" I mean something that is comfortable to sleep in and doesn't come off. So any tips in this area will be gratefully received.

Bing is exactly right, lying on the face can cause inadvertent rubbing and pressure issues. I once had to learn to lie on my back when asleep due a problem with my neck and back and was advised to lie flat with a small pillow under my neck and a pillow between my knees (which is meant to stop you rolling over). This did actually work, though the urge to turn over was really strong!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Graeme Stevenson
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Graeme Stevenson » Wed 18 Aug 2010 7:58 am

You must also be very carefull when wearing any eye protection that any mask is not too tight. I heard a case of a patient causing chnges to the corneal curvature by wering a mask which was too tight. He did report that he had his best sleeps ever when wearing the mask so take care there is little or no pressure on the cornea.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”