Which lens?!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Craig Thornton

Which lens?!

Postby Craig Thornton » Mon 06 Jun 2005 4:02 pm

Am on a bit of a downer at the minute, as I am having trouble with RGP lenses on my right eye, which has the "most" keracatonus.

I used to get sore eyes, so a looser fit was tried. This was great, really comfy, but tended to fall out even if I turned sharply.

A tighter fit was tried, which I am now on. But I get sore eyes after one days uses and then have to have two days without wearing it to recover.

Talk about stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea. I don't know which to go for.

I know it's a terrible thing to say, but I wish I didn't have sight in my right eye. Although I have KC in my left eye too, it is very mild and I only wear a small RGP lens in it. The vision in it even without a lens is great, and so it ends up doing all the hard work!

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 06 Jun 2005 5:30 pm

Craig

I know exactly what you are going through as I am doing the same.....the KC in my left eye has got worse and thus needed a lens change.....now trying the Rose K and have similar problem.....tried one lens for a week and was really tight on the eye...then got another one which caused ghosting and vision was not as good....so now have swicthed back to the inital lens...today was my 3rd day wearing it once I got to work...has been ok......have been wearing it in the house for about 4 hours a day.....give it time........I was more frsutarted as I have tolerant eyes when i t comes to lenses....but these new ones just seem to hurt whilst they get used to it!..Pain in the butt!!!

Give it some time and then see how it goes?..if that fails try a new lens design...theres alot now available in the UK
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Craig Thornton

Postby Craig Thornton » Mon 06 Jun 2005 6:51 pm

Sorry, do you mean you got used to the tight lens after a while?

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 06 Jun 2005 7:41 pm

Well..it depends how tight the lens is on the cornea

If its a new lens from a new fitting; and assuming the lens has been fit correct for the cone, then yes it will get used to it and it should get better as the eye gets used to it

However, if the Lens is an incorrect fitting and is too tight on the cornea then it will not...bit of a contradiction.....but theres a fine line between a good lens fit and tight lens fit.............sometimes both come in at the same time and you need to wait to see if the eye adapts...........however the other sde is a Bad lens fit and too tight for the cornea....in which case after a week or two wearing youll know if its cack
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Tue 07 Jun 2005 1:29 pm

Craig,

I had similar problems to what you seem to be describing and again in my right eye. For me tho, the vision in my left eye was pretty bad too, however for my left eye they were able to fit an RGP that gave me reasonable vision for part of the day. As I only had one lens, I too was down to one eye doing all the work.
After about 9 months where fittings took place and going away to trail the lens etc, my understanding all lens were RGPs. The Eye clinic at the hospital next decided to try Sclerals and for me they made the decision to do this in both eyes.

I would expect tho that if the patient had a lens in one eye that was ok, there is no reason why a differnt type of lens cannot be fitted to the other eye.

Personally, I'm not very lens tolerant, however initially with scleral lens, whilst vision was not as good as i'd wish for, comfort was not an issue and at least it got me back to being able to drive the car.

As we are all very different and things happen to us in our everyday lives which affect us all, unfortunately for me, things have now taken a turn for the worst and vision/wearing time is once again quire reduced. I remain hopeful tho that this will not continue and as a last resort, I personally have been offered surgery in my right eye.

Best Wishes,

Susan

Return to “General Discussion Forum”