Eek

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Eek

Postby Loopy-Lou » Thu 05 Aug 2010 12:38 pm

No wonder my eye was hurting this morning apart from thinking last night 'will this lens ever come out?' as it appeared to be glued to me after going walkabout.
So I thought, ok I'll put it in today but if it hurts I'll take it out given my eye already feels a bit prickly, so I clean the lens and it broke up in my plam into 3 pieces. I'm somewhat releived that happened in my hand and not my eye especially if had moved which means applying a bit of pressure, as this broke in my hand really easily

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Eek

Postby Paul Morgan » Thu 05 Aug 2010 1:05 pm

Is it an RGP??

I had exactly that about 2 years ago. I was as usual being really careful and gentle with the lens and it just sort of shattered in my hand.

My opthom told me it can happen easily...if you have a scratch or some other weak point on the lens, the wrong pressure in the wrong direction and that's enough.

Sorry to hear that though...could be another few quid to replace it I guess :( .

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 05 Aug 2010 1:10 pm

Ouch! Yes it is really good that the break happened in your hand!

Take care

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Thu 05 Aug 2010 2:13 pm

Yes it was an RGP. I know this can happen but not typically after 6 weeks with a brand new lens, more like after having it for a substantial period of time.
This lens was not as 'flat' as my other RGP, more bell shaped by comparison. I guess what scared me is that last night it moved off centre and this one has been harder to manoevre around and using the suction pad means using a bit of pressure as you have to press against the lens/eye to get it onto the pad. The same pressure as I used with cleaning it.
I wonder if anyone has ever experienced a lens shattering in their eye, especially if having to apply pressure to it in order to remove it?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 05 Aug 2010 2:30 pm

Never had an RGP lens shatter in my eye, had some in the past do this when cleaning. I have found that a lens was chipped once i put it in my eye and that was really painful.

It is reasons like this that I am thankful that the soft lenses work for me, I've had development lenses break when cleaning but the proper finished product that is on the market to the general public has never ripped apart, I've just had some where a chip has been taken out the lens edge and most occasions where this has occured, I only found this out when the optom told me the lens was damaged on the edge. They are so comfortable that I was unaware of lens damage and my quality of vision remained unchanged.

If it is such a new lens, with any luck you'll have it replaced free of charge.
Gareth

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Thu 05 Aug 2010 3:22 pm

Mmm that's if I want it..

Return to “General Discussion Forum”