Piggy Backing

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lia Williams

Piggy Backing

Postby Lia Williams » Sun 18 Jul 2010 12:16 pm

I'm hopefully going to collect a pair of corneo-scelral lenses from the hospital in a couple of weeks time. However I have been warned that they may not work for me and the next option would be to try piggy backing.

Does anyone have any advice about piggy backing? I have the following questions that I’d like to know the answers to:

i) Are one’s current RGPs used? or does the soft lens underneath mean that a new RGP is required?

ii) What type of soft lenses are usually used? Are they daily, weekly, monthly? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of the different types?

iii) Are unpowered soft lenses used? Or is the prescription split between the two lenses? I ask this because I’m very shortsighted and consequently the edges of the lenses are relatively thick and I think that this has aggravated the protein deposit problem I have.

iv) What sort of wearing times are usual?

Is there anything else that would be useful to know? As I would like to be able to ask sensible questions at my next appointment.

Thank you,

Lia

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Piggy Backing

Postby melissa » Mon 19 Jul 2010 9:16 am

Hi Lia,
I have been using Piggy-backs for 5 years now (although only in one eye now that i have had my transplant in the other eye).
For me they were a god-send as they resolved the problem i had of the lenses popping out all the time...
to answer your questions from my experience:
i) I continued using the same RGP. the fit didn't actually change even though the soft lens was underneath, but this may depend on the way the lens fits your eye. mine is a 'three-point-touch' . i have had the same RGp in that eye for about 6 years now (and i haven't lost one since i started with piggy-backs)
ii) i mostly use a 2-weekly soft lens Acuvue Oaysys which has a high oxygen-permeability
iii) the soft lens is -1 for me. and makes no difference to my vision. it is normally used only for cushioning
iv) i think this will still depend on your fit, but i get 18 hours almost every day. i do however live in a humid climate and i think this helps. your biggest problem will be dryness, as there are now 5 surfaces for you tears to lubricate. drops help a lot.

the biggest hassle is getting them in and out, and i struggle with the soft lenses a lot more than the hard ones, but it was totally worth the effort for me.
Good luck

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 23 Jul 2010 9:23 pm

Melissa,

Thank you for your reply. That's really helpful.

The problem that the optometrist is trying to solve is the amount of protein deposits on the lenses. I currently get 15 -16 hours from my lenses but by the evening they need a clean. I work in an air-conditioned office and sometimes I need to use drops to re-lubricate them.
I usually take them out to do this as it's far easier to put a drop in the lens rather than in the eye itself. As you say keeping all five surfaces lubricated could be a challenge, but if piggybacking stops the vision smearing during the day then it would be an improvement.

Lia

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Mon 26 Jul 2010 6:38 am

hi lia, i hope it works for you.

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Tue 27 Jul 2010 7:58 pm

Lia,

Hi there! Just thought I'd copy your post and add some comments to make it easier :)

i) Are one’s current RGPs used? or does the soft lens underneath mean that a new RGP is required?
I have been piggy backing for about 4 years now and it has been the best thing I ever did! I have had a graft in my left eye but sadly I am unable to see well enough to piggy back in it because of the scarring I have always had. The right eye though is fantastic piggy backing :lol: I started off using the RGP I already had. This did get changed though after a year to one which is supposed to help more with oxygen permeability. You have to remember that oxygen needs to go through two lenses when piggy backing.

ii) What type of soft lenses are usually used? Are they daily, weekly, monthly? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of the different types?
I use 'Night and Day' monthly ones. I did want weekly lenses but they aren't supposed to be as good for letting oxygen through. The lens has no power in it. I change it at the beginning of the month so that I remember! I'm not sure about there being any advantages/ disadvantages with them, I get seen in Moorfields hospital and this is the one I was given. The main advantage to me in piggy backing and using a soft lens, is that it is so comfortable and I can't feel the RGP anymore. My eye is no longer bright red which it was before with the discomfort of wearing a RGP. I have had one main problem with them though, in that I had visible blood vessels where my eye was trying to get more oxygen through. This has got better though as I have reduced my wearing time.

iii) Are unpowered soft lenses used? Or is the prescription split between the two lenses? I ask this because I’m very shortsighted and consequently the edges of the lenses are relatively thick and I think that this has aggravated the protein deposit problem I have.
The soft lens is unpowered, so you are seeing through the lens on top of it.

iv) What sort of wearing times are usual?
I manage very well with 12 hours or more. I do try to have one day off a week though without wearing any lenses as it lets my eyes have a rest.

Is there anything else that would be useful to know?
I don't know what hospital you are going to, but you shouldn't pay for soft lenses used in piggy backing. Moorfields did try to charge patients, but then realised that it was unfair as we can't use the RGP lenses without them.

I hope this helps! Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on, love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Wed 28 Jul 2010 6:08 am

Hi all

Very interesting topic. I am having all sorts of comfort issues with my right eye at the moment. Just had a couple of new lenses from the hospital . They left is no good at all (fit or power) I have reverted back to the old lens. They right one was ok for a couple of days comfort wise but is starting to hurt again (central raised scar ) I can't decide if the power is no good or it's the scar but the vision is rubbish. If you can use an existing lens it seems piggy backing may be an answer. My old lens has three holes drilled in it so it should help oxygen wise . I have to go back on the 11th so I may throw piggy backing in. I am sure the hospital are doing their best but it's such a disappointment to wait for lenses and then find they do not work. I know the best soloution is a single lens but I wonder if a soft lens could be used while I am waiting for a new lens to arrive. At least I may get a life back instead of being in a darkened room sans lenses at 7pm every other night. Vision without lenses is 1/20 left 0.5/20 right so there is not much you can do without them :D

Ian

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Wed 04 Aug 2010 10:24 am

Claire,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I went for my appointment yesterday and the corneo-scelrals lenses didn’t fit properly. The fit was slightly better than the previous set but they were not comfortable so I didn’t come home with them. As my current RGPs are not fitting as well as they might (which is why I was trying the corneo-scerals) using them for piggy backing would not be an option. Reading back through my notes the optometrist has found another type of corneal RGPs which I’ve not yet tried and these have been ordered. I should get these in the post in ten days or so. I go back in three months, piggy backing and full scelrals are options if these don’t work out.

Lia

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Wed 04 Aug 2010 7:37 pm

Lia,

So sorry that the lenses didn't fit properly at your appointment. I really hope that the ones they have now ordered for you work, fingers crossed for you!

Good luck, love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 12 Nov 2010 12:59 pm

Unfortunately the new RGPs didn't work.

The vision in both lens was no better than previous lenses and the left one was too tight and difficult to remove.

Another type of corneal RGPs has been ordered and I may be piggy backing these. For me the aim is to improve the vision rather than comfort as the shape of the corneas, particularly the right one, is trapping air bubbles under the lenses causing the vision to vary when I blink. I think that the idea is that the soft lenses will give a smoother surface for the RGP to sit on.

The new RGP lenses should arrive in a week or so and then I may be piggy backing in the New Year.

Lia

Ladyburd
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Ladyburd » Fri 03 Dec 2010 12:45 pm

Hi

How are you getting on now, did you get a lens to work?

I WAS GIVEN INTACS & IT DIDN'T WORK TOO WELL BUT ALLOWED ME TO TRY A RGP, BUT I COULDN'T WEAR IT AS IT WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE

I WAS THEN TOLD I WASN'T SUITABLE & GIVEN NO OTHER LENS OPTIONS! SO I WENT IN THE HUFF WITH THE NHS & SAW A PRIVATE LENS FITTER WHO SET ME UP WITH A DAILY TRU EYE TO PIGGY BACK WITH,

ITS AMAZING, SO COMFORTABLE, BUT THE VISION IS LESS THAN WHEN JUST THE RPG, BUT I COULDN'T WEAR THE RPG ON ITS OWN, SO I'M HAPPY TO COMPROMISE

ANYWAY, I'M NOW BACK AT TEH NHS & THEY SAY THEY DON'T WANT ME TO PIGGY BACK AS MY EYE WON'T GET ENOUGH OXYGEN!

I'M SO CONFUSED

SORRY I'M NOT SHOUTING, JUST REALISED I'M TYPING IN CAPITALS :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”