Changes in Vision, during the day .....

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Changes in Vision, during the day .....

Postby Susan Mason » Sun 05 Jun 2005 12:10 am

Hello all

Just wondered how many of you may have noticed this, or maybe it is only me however, just recently probably as I have started to wear my lenses (scleral) a little more than I had been doing, my vision seems to change quite a bit throughout the day.

This can be quite frustrating however, I suppose in the big scheme of things is nothing.

I am still however, having issues with getting people who don't know me to appreciate why I can see one minute and maybe not the next, think I may get a little notice printed and start to hand it out!

6 or 7 hours lens wear 5 days a week is getting a little bothersome now however, I suppose I should be grateful for what I get.

Susan

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Sun 05 Jun 2005 10:28 am

Yep this is a problem for me.
After 3-4 hours where it starts to deteriate.
Ive just joined a darts team and must say im pretty good. But by the time evening comes i do throw and hope.Heaven knows how they hit home. Ive tried leaving them out till later in the day and cleaning them periodically but im afraid no joy here.
So i sympathise with you.
Trace

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 05 Jun 2005 10:53 am

Hi

Have you tried taking them out, filling them up with frsh saline and puttingthem back in?

I have the same issue, I switch from Rose K and Scleral...and find that with the Sclerals during the day the vision gets alittle blurry but once I take ith out, fill it up with cold saline and back in it gets back to what it was......basically, and this is my assumption,....the Scleral works by vaulting the Cone in a resovior of fluid and then creating an even medium for the eye to see out of.........if the fluid goes away during the say (which is common and possible) then the vision changes as well.....

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lesley Foster » Sun 05 Jun 2005 8:25 pm

Hi Susan,
I have recently had scleral lenses for both eyes, a mini scleral for my right eye and a large one for the left and although I am not wearing them everyday yet I also find my vision alters when I am wearing them and I sometimes feel disorientated when I am out walking. I also have problems with air bubbles in the left one I do take it out and replace the saline which does help. I must admit tho that when I have them in I am not aware of them until they 'cloud up' and I can wear them for about 5-6 hours, mind you I wear my corneals for about 18 hours a day.
Live long and Prosper.

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Susan Mason » Mon 06 Jun 2005 12:48 pm

Thanks all, for your replies.

I too tend to take them out (sclerals) periodically and either rinse them off or re clean them and yes this does help a little however, as the day goes on each rinse has less effect.

Well I will keep going and see what the clinic suggest when I visit next month.

Thanks, Susan.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 06 Jun 2005 1:54 pm

My vision does change throughout the day, but not just due to swapping vision in my eyes.

The change is mainly in my right eye so I start with this in the morning as I know the vision wil be fine to drive. This gradually deteriorates throughout the day but no two days are the same.

Not too sure about the scleral, but as the Rose K re-shapes the cone, I think the reshaping gets to the point the shortsightedness might need help. I might not have this issue if I could regulary wear the lenses for 12 or more hours per day for 7 days a week. I pretty much stick to 8 hours per day for comfort.

Gareth

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 06 Jun 2005 2:06 pm

Gareth

I thought I was the only one doing the swapping!

I use the Scleral for first 3 hours of my working day for driving, then take it out and put in a Rose K2 for the rest........reason I have to do this is due to the sharpness of vision fron the latter.......otherwise with the Scleral in I cant read papers and I cant even see emails in small text!.....such a pain but its a solution!
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 08 Jun 2005 11:41 am

Jay,

Unlike you, I am not changes lenses in the same eye. My day usually starts with the right lens only as I have the lowest wear time in that eye and it gets me to work OK. If I am tierd at the end of the day, the wear time in that eye can be zero!

The afternoons are spent seeing out of my left eye where the KC is not so bad where 8 hours is easily achieved, 10 at a push.

Wear time is down at the mo due to the heat and lower humidity in the office. Humidity levels of below 50% make wear times difficult.

Come 1pm, right lens out (done well lasting six hours) and the left one will go in, shat should last until I get home at 6pm and give me some sighted time with my daughter before she goes to bed.

Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”