Newly diagnosed KC teen

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Gowrav
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Newly diagnosed KC teen

Postby Gowrav » Sat 19 Jun 2010 8:39 pm

Hi,

Today i was diagnosed of having minor KC (early stages of development). I am soon to have some sort of picture of my eye taken. I was wondering what caused this disease to occur? I go on the computer a lot (usually for studies). Would this have played any part in the development of this condition? Also since i was diagnosed at the early stages, will the condition progress? Because i read some where that if I have to wear corrective lenses, this doesn't prevent the further development of the condition. And finally, will this effect my ability to see things from far distances drastically? As i am starting university this year and will be in lectures, I don't want my sight effecting my ability to read the white board.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, i am jsut one worried teen :D

Thanks

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Newly diagnosed KC teen

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 20 Jun 2010 7:30 am

Gowrav wrote:Hi,

Today i was diagnosed of having minor KC (early stages of development). I am soon to have some sort of picture of my eye taken. I was wondering what caused this disease to occur? I go on the computer a lot (usually for studies). Would this have played any part in the development of this condition? Also since i was diagnosed at the early stages, will the condition progress? Because i read some where that if I have to wear corrective lenses, this doesn't prevent the further development of the condition. And finally, will this effect my ability to see things from far distances drastically? As i am starting university this year and will be in lectures, I don't want my sight effecting my ability to read the white board.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, i am jsut one worried teen :D

Thanks

Gowrav

Welcome to the forum. You ask interesting and important questions, but as to your first, I am afraid that nobody knows what caused keratoconus. You may take some comfort from the simple fact that the condition appears in all cultures, and among people who have never used a computer as well as those who use computers frequently.

I am afraid that your question about keratoconus progressing has an equally unsatisfactory answer: sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. You ought to be prepared for your own condition to get worse; if it does not then no harm will have been done. Print off the leaflets that you can find on this site and give one to your director of studies at University. The university will make any adjustments necessary to take account of your eye condition.

Be of good heart. You are not alone and above all DON'T PANIC.
Andrew MacLean

scottr2009
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Newly diagnosed KC teen

Postby scottr2009 » Sun 20 Jun 2010 8:04 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I agree with Andrew, don't panic. When I was first diagnosed two years ago, I joined this forum, the help and support you get is fantastic. Just talking to someone else that has the same problems and issues can really help.

Secondly, I know how scared you must feel but try not to fear it. I was diagnosed two years ago with mild keratoconus. I frequently use my computer for University assignments and for searching the net etc. I have been told that computer use doesn't seem to have much link to keratoconus, as Andrew pointed out.

I first noticing my condition when I started struggling to read lecture powerpoints. I was diagnosed a week before my main final exams. it was extremely stressful. I was given my glasses the day before one of my exams. I had never worn glasses and boy did I struggle with them, I struggled to walk in a straight line with them! (I'm pleased to say that I even managed to ace the exams somehow). My University has been fantastic in supporting me. I have been offered alot of help.

I still wear glasses for my condition and it doesn't really bother me, I love my glasses and I've been told they make me look quite handsome and intelligent 8) As for your other questions, I suggest you do some research on the internet, that's what I did. Like Andrew said Keratoconus can be unpredicable but most of the time it can be controlled so don't go worrying. I also agree with Andrew, check out some of the leaflets.

If you ever want to chat, give me a private message. I'm always happy to lend an ear and answer any questions you may have.

Remember DON'T PANIC!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”