Just diagnosed and in a quandry

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

helen36k
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Just diagnosed and in a quandry

Postby helen36k » Mon 07 Jun 2010 6:11 pm

Have had the KC diagnosis through by letter (I am 45 years of age and just been diagnosed) and not been able to chat to the consultant. Just a refferal letter for lens fitting. On visiting the optometerist she really put me off lenses and said whilst I can see through my glasses to continue to wear them. Is she right? I do not have any sight problems blurring, light halos etc although I need a strongrer prescription for my glasses which I am getting. If I continue just wearing glasses I feel like I am going against the consultants wishes. Also I believed wearing lenses holds the cornea together but she says there is danger of scratching the cornea.Also reading this forum, other posts suggest wearing lenses can make the KC worse. I do not know what to do any advice would be appreciated. thanks Helen

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Just diagnosed and in a quandry

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 08 Jun 2010 6:37 am

helen

Welcome to the forum

I know how difficult it is when you are full of questions; there is some good news for you.

If you can manage with glasses you should probably do so. Wearing lenses will not stabilize your cornea, but at 45 it is likely that your corneas are already 'stiffening' by themselves and this will tend to slow any future progression of your condition.

Was your referral to a hospital optometrist, or to one in the high street? Hospitals that have in house arrangements for contact lens fitting have cross disciplinary teams made up of ophthalmologists and optometrists who work together, each bringing their particular expertise to the treatment and management of keratoconus. Your optometrist would not be 'going against' the wishes of your ophthalmologist but simply bringing a different expertise.

By attending an optometry and ophthalmology clinic you will enable both professionals to monitor your condition, and also to identify any future change in your condition. Indeed in some centers the professions work so closely and so well together that the two clinics are rolled into one and the patient is seen routinely by an optometrist who will arrange for an immediate ophthalmology appointment if there is any change.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Wed 09 Jun 2010 7:30 am

diagnosis by letter! REALLY? does that happen in the UK?
I am sure you have loads of questions... and you have found a good source of information.
I agree with Andrew- if glasses can give you the vision YOU are happy with, then stay with those until they no longer work well enough... RGPs are expensive up front and take a lot of getting used to. very often having no choice is the only motivator that gets someone to actually wear them... so if you still have a workable choice- it may not be worth the hassle.
good luck

helen36k
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby helen36k » Wed 16 Jun 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have taken your advice and that of the high street optometerist and decided to continue wearing my glasses with the stronger prescription in. My vision has improved thankfully and will go with lenses when I absolutely have to as I am sqeamish about lenses anyway. It is bad practice that I had diagnosis by letter and no consultant follow up. I can only guess that this is because the consultant knows my partner has kerataconus also. But I can say this is no substitute when you have lots of questions. It can also be questioned are we a rare couple 2 of us in the same hose with KC?
Thanks again for all your help Helen

Return to “General Discussion Forum”