just had corneal crosslinking

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

cves
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

just had corneal crosslinking

Postby cves » Mon 10 May 2010 6:16 pm

I just had this done about 11 days ago in my right eye. My eye only burn from time to time. The vision is worse now than it was before. I guess that is normal in the first month, I just thought I would post that I had this done and see if anyone had questions. Also I wanted to put my experiences with this on here to show what it is like.
Right now I am frustrated with how blurred my eye is and not being able to drive. Typing this is really difficult. Anyways that is about it for now. :)

electricheadx
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: just had corneal crosslinking

Postby electricheadx » Tue 11 May 2010 12:11 am

I had CXL done a few months ago also.
It took about a month for the vision to clear up in the eye.
It will get better slowly but surely.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 11 May 2010 6:22 am

cves

Wel;come to the forum, and well done. I hope that your vision recovers quickly.

electricheadx and cves, please do keep us in touch with how things are going on.

Every good wish to you both

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Tue 11 May 2010 1:29 pm

I had cxl done in October 2009, went for a check up last friday. Consultant was quite happy with the results, have got a slighty flatter cornea, no significant reduction in corneal thickness and can get one more line on the chart - not that it helps much as it still doesnt give me any vision in glasses - however my KC hasnt deterioated any further which was the point of the procedure.

I went back to work 2 weeks (at a computer for about 8-9 hours per day) after the op, and just made sure i had a constant supply of eye drops with me and in the fridge at work. no problems to report since the op
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

cves

Postby cves » Wed 19 May 2010 1:39 am

just passed week three. It is slow going and really frustrating at times....
I am wishing a month would pass already. I HATE not driving. I think that might be the worst part! I do have good days, it just goes back and forth. I know that there is silver lining.
Thanks for the replies. I am really hopeful that this will be all that it is expected to be for everyone who has KC. We will see! :D

djain3
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djain3 » Wed 19 May 2010 11:01 am

Hi Cves,

How is your left eye. Is this good one? Can you read and see cleary without glasses?

Even I got my CXL done in Oct 2009. But my left eye was better so I was able to drive just after 5 days of CXL.

But I am not happy of results of CXL in my right eye.

Now after 6 months, operated eye get stressed very easily. painful, when I am down with cold. And some other problems as well.

I will check this with my doctor soon.

Regards,
Deepak Jain

cves

Postby cves » Thu 20 May 2010 12:53 am

djain, yes my left eye is the better eye. I decided not to have it done in that eye because the vision with glasses is good. I am very lucky because I have advanced KC in both eyes but because of where the "mountain" is in the eye the vision is good.
Do you know what your corneal thickness was when you had CXL done? I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the one eye. I wonder if it has to do with the thickness....
Where did you have your surgery done?
Good luck I would like to hear what the doctor says.
Cves

Nuttynat
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Nuttynat » Sun 23 May 2010 10:52 pm

Hiya im finking of having this done because my eyes are getting worse :( is it an expensive procedure :)

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 24 May 2010 6:13 am

Nuttynat

Welcome to the forum

You don't tell us where you are; if you are in the UK, it is possible (although very unusual) to have this procedure on the NHS. Some centres are conducting clinical trials. It should be said that in England CXL has not been approved by NICE so there is no universal availability.

As to the cost of having the procedure done privately, I am afraid I can't help you, but there is sure to be somebody along in a moment who can.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Mon 24 May 2010 7:24 am

Nuttynat wrote:Hiya im finking of having this done because my eyes are getting worse :( is it an expensive procedure :)

When i was reseaching this procedure there was a wide range of prices in the private health sector in the uk. I paid just under £1000 for my left eye, which included the procedure, eye drops etc, appointments (follow up, just had my six month follow up). this was with Centre for Sight in East Grinstead (also have offices in London, but procedure is carried out in East Grinstead, very swanky new place). It wasnt the cheapest by any means, however they were the most detailed in my initial communication with them, which for me was important as I'm not local to the South East.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Return to “General Discussion Forum”